Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 26, 2013.

Tags:
?

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

1. I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

119 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

53 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    Just another in the long series of old sayings that are untrue.

However, based on what Ronald Epstein said directly above, I'm still allowing my hopes to be high. :unsure:

2. cb1

cb1 Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Thank you Mr Epstein for saying that. I can't wait and it will be a day one for me!

William Ferry likes this.
  3. mark brown

mark brown Stunt Coordinator

While we are speculating and waiting, are there any rumors regarding Criterion interest in the "other" MGM orphan, The Alamo?

4. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Mark, I posted the very same question on this site in June under the heading "Alamo Restoration". Robet Harris posted in response that MGM has no interest in saving the film . Total shame .

5. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Stanley
    And by now it could probably be used to clean the coffee maker.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  6. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    My grandma used to say: "You can catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar". But I'm not sure what it would take to change MGM's mind about The Alamo.

7. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    And now that Criterion has this in their possession, the wait will be damn well worth it and hoping we get the most extensive version of this movie available and we all can be happy, once it get released to the general public. Just hang tight Joe.

ahollis likes this.
  8. mercyflight

mercyflight Agent

My take on that, John, is that up to the fire escape sequence, the film is played as SORT of real, the Indiana Jones/James Bond theory that if one was one really good shape and REALLY lucky, the character will survive. There are no cutesy comedy angles, etc. trying to sell a gag. It is only in that last section of the film that everything changes, and it is literally a cartoon. If the film was presented that way thru-out, it would not have
    worked. Throughout the film we see these occasional "Gods Looking Down at the madness of it all" shots, and the last one occurs after the money flies off. We hear the most thundering threatening version of the Mad World theme, and the Gods have had enough! From that point on, it IS insanity and is illogical. No, those wide shots of the ladder looks hardly real, but its no less breathtaking.I really feel that's one of the GREAT things about the film; it starts with a very strong realistic foundation but by the very end, it's taken you (and the characters) where you would never expect.

9. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    I don't know if I agree that things get cartoonish only at the end. The demolition of the gas station at the hands of Jonathan Winters is about as extreme as anything on the fire escape, and occurs well within the first third of the film. There are other sequences that come close.

10. ScottHM

ScottHM Second Unit

Scott
    I agree with you. In fact, things start getting unreal about the time the bucket sails.
    ---------------

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  11. chas speed

chas speed Second Unit

I haven't gone through this whole thread, but I was stunned when I saw how good this title looked on one of the HD channels, but when I rented the Blu-ray release it didn't look half as good. I hope they will finally release a rematered print of this.

12. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Hmm...the bluray has pretty much been universally praised as looking and sounding terrific.

Moe Dickstein likes this.
  13. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Well, something is clearly wrong somewhere, because the Blu-ray is spectacular and I've seen the HD broadcast and it is anything but spectacular. I never understand this stuff :)

Tino likes this.
  14. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    As an owner of the MGM release, I will be looking forward to this; not necessarily for a vast improvement in picture quality, but for what Criterion brings to the table.

Moe Dickstein likes this.
  15. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    I waited FOR YEARS to see Metropolis in the vain hope that the missing footage would be found. People called me stupid, and told me to just "go watch the film already!" Well, I waited, and look what happened? A miracle!

Now, I wasn't so patient with Mad World. I broke down and bought the DVD. Also the Blu Ray. However, I didn't watch the whole thing... just the beginning 20 minutes or so. Then, I found this thread, and my heart skipped a beat. I am just as anxious as you all are, and knowing Criterion, I know how good... nay, GREAT, the release will be. AND, having read Ronald's post, about Criterion working with people in the know, and what fans want, I am EVEN MORE excited.

Like Ronald said, "Patience." :)

ahollis likes this.
  16. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Second Unit

Jack Walder
    I haven't seen it on an HD broadcast, but agree that the Blu Ray is spectacular.
    I watched it the day I briught it home from Wal Mart. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw how good the PQ was/is. If it had been priced at double the $10 price tag it still would have been the bargain of the year.

Tino and ROclockCK like this.
  17. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Supporting Actor

"what Criterion brings to the table" this use to be the case, but the last release I can remember that had a nice and big extras section was the
    Last Emperor They still do some things ,the still file is a memory

18. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    With Criterion's recent move to Dual-Format packaging, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what that might mean for the media contents of this set. I mean, if Criterion is planning this as some kind of the 'restaurant-at-the-end-of-the-universe' version of the film, plus the usual complement of features, are we looking at 5 or 6 (or more) discs here? Or features only in SD?

Something tells me I need to think about reinforcing all of my Criterion shelves...

19. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

I can see this as a 5 disc set (2 Blu-rays and 3 DVDs) in a digipak.

20. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    There have been MANY big bonus feature laden releases sine Last Emperor...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.