What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (2 Viewers)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
haineshisway said:
Just that the hope was that it would be ready for November and that they've been working on it for quite a while now. My hope, which I told the person involved, was that they would do the original roadshow presentation (the one that ran only four weeks) as much as possible, and that anything that wasn't in that version would be included as extras, as Mr. Kramer never meant that stuff to be seen as part of his film. But no confirmation of what they're actually doing.
But did this person's facial expression or body language give any clue? After you told him you hoped it would be the original roadshow version, some subtle expression could say either, "You're going to be happy with this" or "Forget about it."

The suspense is killing me. I've waited half a century to see the original MAD WORLD, and this has got to be my last hope. It's now or never!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Will*B said:
Thanks Bruce - tantalising information!

It's as though Criterion recently got hold of a list of my all-time favourite films. The Game, Rosemary's Baby, IAMMMMW...

Even though I'm happy with the current BD, I'm sure the Criterion version will be something pretty special. Presumably, in the absence of some sort of extended cut, the extras would have to be pretty spectacular to justify licensing this title...? (My money's definitely on an extended cut of some description).

Still finding it funny to read the miserable discussion of this title at CriterionForum. If I were Criterion, I'd release something like The Hottie & The Nottie to really drive those hipsters out of their minds...
Oh, they just want European films about people unleashing the passions from within. Meh! I'd take a ridiculous Mexican telenovela over meaningful, highbrow CineMAH anyday....

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony DiPaola
Man, I'd always like to pretend and wonder what if Criterion released this, and now my dream has come true! Thank you Criterion (and just in time for the film's 50th anniversary!)! I'm hoping for both General Release and Roadshow (192-minute) cuts myself. Shame Jonathan WInters passed away because it would've been nice to have a new interview with him.

And seeing is how no doubt there will be a DVD version too, I can retire my 2001 MGM disc! :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nailwraps said:
Man, I'd always like to pretend and wonder what if Criterion released this, and now my dream has come true! Thank you Criterion (and just in time for the film's 50th anniversary!)! I'm hoping for both General Release and Roadshow (192-minute) cuts myself. Shame Jonathan WInters passed away because it would've been nice to have a new interview with him. And seeing is how no doubt there will be a DVD version too, I can retire my 2001 MGM disc! :)
Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a blu ray player right? ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
battlebeast said:
has it been confirmed?
As has been mentioned previously, not officially until August 15 when Criterion announces their November titles.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
haineshisway said:
Certainly to me it was confirmed by someone who is in a position to know. I said that a few pages ago.
And I believe you 100% Bruce. I was just stating that Criterion hasn't "officially" confirmed it. At least not to us..... ;)

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Will*B said:
Thanks Bruce - tantalising information!

Still finding it funny to read the miserable discussion of this title at CriterionForum. If I were Criterion, I'd release something like The Hottie & The Nottie to really drive those hipsters out of their minds...
Speaking of hipsters, a good portrait of one -- or maybe a beatnik -- is actually in the film itself portrayed by the completely off the wall Dick Shawn. And like all hipsters, of course he has mommy issues.....

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I so regret having never sought out the Big W myself all the years I lived in LA. Hell, in the '80s I was all of 20 minutes away from it. I just wasn't the right kind of movie buff in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks