Criterion Press Release: Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN (Dual Format)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 16, 2014.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

Yfront.jpg

Yback.jpg

Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN - Dual Format Blu-ray/DVD Edition & DVD Only Edition
    The smash road comedy from the Oscar-winning director Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity) is that rare movie to combine raunchy subject matter and emotional warmth. Gael García Bernal (Amores perros) and Diego Luna (Milk) shot to international stardom as a pair of horny Mexico City teenagers from different classes who, after their girlfriends jet off to Italy for the summer, are bewitched by a gorgeous older Spanish woman (Belle époque’s Maribel Verdú) they meet at a wedding. When she agrees to accompany them on a trip to a faraway beach, the three form an increasingly intense and sensual alliance that ultimately strips them both physically and emotionally bare. Shot with elegance and dexterity by the great Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life), Y tu mamá también is a funny and moving look at human desire.

2001 • 106 minutes • Color • 5.1 surround • In Spanish with English subtitles • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

DIRECTOR-APPROVED DUAL-FORMAT 1-BLU-RAY/2-DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New 2K digital restoration, supervised by director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki and approved by director Alfonso Cuarón, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray • On “Y tu mamá también”: Then and On “Y tu mamá también”: Now, two new pieces on the making of the film, featuring interviews with actors Gael García Bernal, Diego Luna, and Maribel Verdú; Cuarón; cowriter Carlos Cuarón; and Lubezki• New interview with philosopher Slavoj Žižek about the film• On-set documentary from 2001• Deleted scenes• You Owe Me One (2002), a short film by Carlos Cuarón• Trailers• New English subtitle translation• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Charles Taylor and character biographies by Carlos Cuarón

TITLE: Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN (DUAL-FORMAT 1-BLU-RAY AND 2-DVD EDITION)
    CAT. NO: CC2384BDDVD
    UPC: 7-15515-12411-9
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-874-3
    SRP: $39.95
    PREBOOK: 7/22/14
    STREET: 8/19/14

TITLE: Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN (2-DVD EDITION)
    CAT. NO: CC2385DDVD
    UPC: 7-15515-12421-8
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-875-0
    SRP: $29.95PREBOOK: 7/22/14STREET: 8/19/14 

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I'll have this by year's end. Put it on my Christmas/ birthday list.

3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    Hoping they can get to Cuaron's greatest film (Children of Men) soon.

4. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    I'm looking forward to this release.

Darby

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now Available for Preorder
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I posted this on the general Criterion announcement thread too... I was a little surprised to read "New 2K digital restoration" --- surely a ten year old movie produced in the modern era doesn't need to be restored? Can the negative really be in such bad shape? Or has Criterion joined the unfortunate bandwagon of calling every new scan a "restoration"? Or is there some history to this film I wasn't aware of that would necessitate restoration work being done?

It's a good movie and I may pick it up.. it just didn't strike me as a title, based on its production year, that was in need of restoration work.

7. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    Does anyone know for sure if this is 2k or 4k? The press release and back cover say 2k, the "About this transfer" section of the booklet says 4k.

8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Lots of movies have a 4k scan, down res'd to 2k for BD.

9. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

1080p.