Criterion Press Release: Trilogy of Life (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Having enjoyed Salo, I'll be blind buying this one. The films looked interesting in the special features on that disc.

3. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Did I really just read the sentence "Having enjoyed Salo..."? I could barely get through it but even if I admired it, which I do not, "enjoy" would never enter into it. :)

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I was broadsided by "enjoyed" as well.
    Salo is filthy, disgusting, repulsive, repugnant and utterly without merit of any kind whatsoever.
    I saw one or two of his other films back in the 1970s and didn't think much of those, either.
    Just because his films were talkies and in color and widescreen doesn't justify their existence.

5. TheVid

TheVid Stunt Coordinator

The more Pier Paolo on blu-ray, the better. I've had the UK blu-rays of this trilogy for a while, but will probably double dip for the additional region-A extras in this package. A Criterion version of Pasolini's THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW would be welcome, too; it's the grooviest Jesus movie, although it will never balance out SALO, which easily works as "the gospel according to the antichrist".

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Well, I found Salo fascinating, gripping, thought provoking, and yes, uncomfortable and disturbing. It felt like punch to the guts after it was over. "Antichrist" (also on Criterion) was the same way. I tend to enjoy any film that makes me feel something on an emotional level. Salo fits the bill so I have to say I enjoyed it. Not in the same way I enjoyed films like Singing in the Rain but it's still valid. I think most people would argue you that it has more merit than most films made. There's room for films like Salo and "The Human Centipede" in the world, they're not replacing anything you enjoy or forcing themselves down your throat.

It's funny though, I used the terms "disgusting, repulsive, repugnant and utterly without merit of any kind whatsoever" to describe "Battleship" to the guys at work.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to getting more of his films.

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Stunt Coordinator

Hayden Frost
    Salo is one of my favourite films. I've tried to watch all or most of it at least once a year for the past 8 years and I've gotten something different out of it every time. So many complex and conflicting layers. It also doesn't hurt that it's stunningly photographed and designed. I'm not sure I can say that I enjoy it on any visceral level but enjoy is the word I'd use all the same.
    On the topic at hand, I think the Criterion Trilogy of Life set looks superb. Not sure that there's anything enticing enough to make me double-dip on the BFI releases though. Unlike Salo I thought their Trilogy transfers were pretty satisfactory.

8. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Salo is a laugh riot!
    This is a blind buy :)