Criterion Press Release: The Vanishing (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

vanfront.jpg

vanback.jpg

THE VANISHING - Blu–ray & DVD Editions
    A young man embarks on an obsessive search for the girlfriend who mysteriously disappeared while the couple were taking a sunny vacation trip, and his three-year investigation draws the attention of her abductor, a mild-mannered professor with a diabolically clinical mind. An unorthodox love story and a truly unsettling thriller, Dutch filmmaker George Sluizer’s The Vanishing unfolds with meticulous intensity, leading to an unforgettable finale that has unnerved audiences around the world.

1988 • 106 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Dutch and French with English subtitles • 1.66:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray • New interview with director George Sluizer• New interview with actor Johanna ter Steege• Trailer• PLUS: An essay by critic Scott Foundas

TITLE: THE VANISHING (BLU-RAY EDITION)
    CAT. NO: CC2405BD
    UPC: 7-15515-12871-1
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-920-7
    SRP: $39.95  
    PREBOOK: 9/30/14
    STREET: 10/28/14 

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. Amazing artwork. Stand back and look at it from a distance and tell me what you see...

3. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Wow. Excited to see this. The American version was a joke.This makes me suspect we could see The Fourth Man on Criterion as well. Not that they're related. But because these were two darker foreign DVDs I had in my library awaiting blus.

4. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Have to get pretty far away, but able to see smiling face of missing girl.

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now Available for Preorder
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

6. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I usually always prefer the European original version to a U.S. remake but in this case I far preferred the remake which is one of my favourite films. The fact that both were made by the same director also means that the remake has legitimacy.

7. GlennF

GlennF Second Unit

Glenn Frost
    Sorry, can't say I loved the movie, but it does have an ending that will creep you out forever. That was unforgettable and makes it at worth a watch just for that. Just don't complain when you wake up in the middle of the night feeling a little.....I'll say no more.

8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Criterion used to price their nearly bare bones releases at $29.95. Two interviews doesn't to me constitute very impressive bonus material. A terrific film, though, and I'll pick it up in November at B&N.

9. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    The American version has a cop-out ending, is my beef. Completely defeats the whole point of the original. It happens almost every time with American films based on original European. I never bothered to see the Stallone (ugh) remake of Get Carter, but I doubt it ends the same way bleak way as the original Michael Caine version.

10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    I see a StudioCanal logo, is that a good sign?

11. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

I think we are going to have to wait for the disc to be released so we can see the licensing info on the back because it could be that StudioCanal owns the film and the film elements but not the US home video rights. It is a surprise to see their logo on the sell sheet. (StudioCanal does have the right to the Tati films, but rumor is that the Tati estate insisted that Criterion handle the home video release.)