Criterion Press Release: The Naked Kiss (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    This will be mine too! Two Fuller classics in one month, the only way it could get better was if it was in a two pack with additional savings!

3. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Love these cover designs.

(And I've come to really like the translucent DVD and BLU cases Criterion is using these days.)

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    This year Criterion was replaced Warner Brothers as my favorite studio. Not only are they releasing movies I love, but they are releasing them in incredibly classy ways of staggering quality! AND they are priced right where as the DVDs were always bit much! Amazing work!

5. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

I don't think that a 'B Noir' Blu-Ray release priced at $39.95 SRLP strikes me as anything 'amazing.'

I have the film and I like the film - but I don't need or want a hi-def release of it. Then again, maybe I'll pick it up at some point when it's under 10 bucks.

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Well, I never picked up the old bare bones Criterion DVD of this that was always priced at $34-$39, So to get it on Blu for around $34 with those extras is a great deal. And considering that if Warners released this, it would probably be in the Archive series for $25 on a low quality DVD that is unavailable to me in Canada, I stand by my statement that Criterion is doing some amazing work this year.

Pre-Blu, Criterion's were regularly priced at $10-15 (sometimes more), over the regular studios DVDs. With these Blu's, where most first run studio discs are $29-$33, $35-$39 for a Criterion Blu-Ray seems like a more then a fair price. So again, in my opinion, Criterion has surpassed Warners as my favorite studio this year.

7. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

Sophistry. Comparing first run studio releases with catalog titles is apples and oranges. Further, that some 'bare bones' Criterion release was overpriced does not make their new release a "great deal" - it simply means that their 'bare bones' release was overpriced.

You also seem to live in a marketplace of limitations of your own making. Instead, you could simply get it at your local library or through an inter-library loan. You could simply postpone purchase for a year or so and then buy it from some other person who didn't postpone purchase and now needs to shed his collection to pay the rent or because he woke up to the fact that he's spent a boatload of money to create a DVD library of titles he's watched only once.

Valuation is always subjective and you are welcome to your opinion. Mine is simple. You don't put a fifty dollar saddle on a 10 dollar horse.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    So you never spend more then $10 per Blu Ray disc? Based on what your saying, you will wait indefinitely, or simply never purchase a movie because it should be priced at $10 if it's a catalog release? Even if it's been fully restored and has a generous helping of extras to improve upon it's value over a previous release, despite being a niche product...

Wow. Ok then. Criterion are a rip off studio who are greasing the consumers I guess...

9. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    Last week I picked-up from a local outlet The Thin Red Line for $28, M & Black Narcissus for 29.95ea on BR, I paid more than that for many LDs back in the day.

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Quote: Al Kuenster

You purchased from an actual RETAIL outlet? Not an estate sale or auction from a broke hobbyist who had to lose their idiotic collection of single watched DVDs due to the sad state of the economy? You didn't simply get a copy via inter-library loan? Are you telling me that there is actually another person on this forum who is ok with spending over TEN DOLLARS ON CATALOG BLU-RAY RELEASES?!?!?!

*Passes out*

I paid about $35 each for those, give or take a dollar either way in Canadian money, so I guess I'm not being robbed due my limited market place that is known as Canada. Thanks for the input

11. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I can't wait for these films. You can call them B-movies all you want, but these are masterpieces in my eyes. Who woulda thunk we'd get Sam Fuller on Blu-Ray with fully-loaded discs that include a feature-length documentary? And nice thread crap, Rich-D. None of us here want to hear you cry about why you don't want to buy these.

12. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

There are plenty of 'Criterion charges too much' threads already on this forum, we don't need another one. I've no beef with Criterion. I don't tell them what to charge and they don't tell me how to spend my money. And yes, my average Blu-Ray purchase is under 10 bucks for sure. And even then I don't purchase many titles, just the films I see over and over again. Mostly I use Netflix and the local libraries but that's just a personal choice.

Back on topic to this specific release ... regarding the 'restoration' and extras ... I've seen enough Sam Fuller interviews and documentaries to last me - he was never shy in front of the camera. Do I care about seeing an interview with actors? Not very often. Do I care to see a higher definition image of the skull cap line on Constance Tower's head? Nope. Do I want to see an image that probably is superior to when the film was released to the grind-houses and drive-in theatres? Sometimes yes but in this case no. Excerpts from Fuller's autobiography, The Third Face? The full book is at the library.

That said, The Naked Kiss is an interesting and enticing film with an atmosphere/feeling far beyond its budget. A masterpiece? Only to the clueless.

13. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

Ah yes, the complainers about the complainers. Got it. Say Mark, what's this "feature-length documentary"? Because I don't believe it's listed above as such nor on Criterion's web site.

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    It's on the "Shock Corridor" disc that is coming out with this.

The Typewriter, the Rifle and the Movie Camera, Adam Simon’s 1996 documentary on director Samuel Fuller

http://www.criterion.com/films/534-shock-corridor

15. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Second Unit

Wow, that's a great extra feature that I've always wanted to see. So I think I'll get the Shock Corridor Bu-ray first.