Criterion Press Release: The Innocents (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template
    727_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

THE INNOCENTS – Blu-ray & DVD Editions 
    This genuinely frightening, exquisitely made supernatural gothic stars Deborah Kerr (Black Narcissus) as an emotionally fragile governess who comes to suspect that there is something very, very wrong with her precocious new charges. A psychosexually intensified adaptation of Henry James’s classic The Turn of the Screw, cowritten by Truman Capote (In Cold Blood) and directed by Jack Clayton (Room at the Top), The Innocents is a triumph of narrative economy and technical expressiveness, from its chilling sound design to the stygian depths of its widescreen cinematography by Freddie Francis (The Elephant Man).
    1961 • 100 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray • Audio commentary featuring cultural historian Christopher Frayling• New interview with cinematographer John Bailey on director of photography Freddie Francis and the look of the film• Archival interviews with editor James Clark, Francis, and script supervisor Pamela Francis• Trailer
    • More!
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Maitland McDonagh

TITLE: THE INNOCENTS (BLU-RAY EDITION)                
    CAT. NO: CC2395BD
    UPC: 7-15515-12681-6
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-899-6
    SRP: $39.95  
    PREBOOK: 8/19/14
    STREET: 9/23/14

TITLE: THE INNOCENTS (2-DVD EDITION)
    CAT. NO: CC2396DDVD
    UPC: 7-15515-12691-5
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-900-9
    SRP: $29.95PREBOOK: 8/19/14
    STREET: 9/23/14

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Mark Walker likes this.
  2. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    The UK BFI release is absolutely supeb.

It'll be very difficult for Criterion to top that, but I'll be awaiting reviews. This film is one of my Top 10, so I don't mind sheling out a few more pounds even if it's only a relatively minor upgrade, but as I say they'll have to pull out all the stops even for that.

Steve W

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    This has been in my UK cart for ages(can't buy everything).True. Work. Of. Art.

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    If you are a fan of ghost stories, subtle horror, brilliant cinematography, imaginative sound design, dead-on acting even by young children, then you would be remiss not to check this out. THE BFI release is gorgeous, but if you have decided to stick to region A, this should do it for you. Most of the same supplements. Criterion won't disappoint with the transfer, I'm sure.

5. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    Very creepy and unnerving without cheap scares, and it works. Fantastically executed on all fronts. Kerr is excellent as the emotionally disintegrating governess. The A capella "O Willow Waly" sets the tone even before the title rolls. Great choice from Criterion.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  6. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    The German release is the same as the UK one, and it's region free and 11 euro at Amazon.de. Criterion is a day late and a dollar short for me. I am totally satisfied with the german blu.

7. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I was lucky to have seen this during its original run and once again in Dallas (late 80s-early 90s) in 35mm 'Scope. The audience, in both occasions, sat in silence, or screamed at the right moment. You could feel the tension mounting. Extraordinary achievement, particularly when everything is suggested, rather than shown. Kerr and the children are excellent. Another must buy.

8. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    The German and UK Blu-rays use the Fox HD master first used on their DVD in 2005. The Criterion will be a new modern 4K transfer.

The old transfer IS very lovely, but I'll be shocked if the Criterion doesn't show a pretty sizeable improvement.

9. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    I hope the sound can be improved. That was my only issue with the DVD.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now Available for Preorder
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Mark Walker likes this.
  11. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Wow. I was just reading the review and looking at the screencaps on another site. My mouth is now watering! In a word: STUNNING. I cannot wait to get this blu. I hope the concurrent blu of Polanski's Macbeth looks even half as good as this seems to look.

Mark Walker likes this.
  12. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Any chance to support Criterion with their release of a film I want to own, I am in.

Love Kerr and looking forward to the commentary by Frayling.

JohnMor likes this.
  13. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Just had the opportunity to see this this movie in a cinema environment tonight and it was great! I am going to add it to my must get list and would love to hear from anyone who purchased this title on bluray. How is the transfer on blu-ray? If 20th Century Fox puts this out in 4K I will pick it up but if they take to long I will pick it up in 1080p bluray. A very creepy yet very enjoyable movie that is done very well by Fox Studios! I would go as far as saying it was stunning when I saw it on the big screen!

14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I reviewed it back in mid-September. You can find the review here.

Dave Moritz and Mark Walker like this.