Criterion Press Release: The Freshman (Dual Format)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

freshfront.jpg

freshback.jpg

THE FRESHMAN (dual-format Blu-ray and DVD edition)  
    Harold Lloyd’s biggest box-office hit was this silent comedy gem, featuring the befuddled everyman at his eager best as a new college student. Though he dreams of being a big man on campus, the freshman’s careful plans inevitably go hilariously awry, be it on the football field or at the Fall Frolic. But he gets a climactic chance to prove his mettle—and impress the sweet girl he loves—in one of the most famous sports sequences ever filmed. This crowd-pleaser is a gleeful showcase for Lloyd’s slapstick brilliance and incandescent charm, and it’s accompanied here by a new orchestral score by Carl Davis (Napoleon). 
    1925 • 76 minutes • Black & White • Silent • 1.33:1 aspect ratio

DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
    • New 4K digital transfer from a restoration by the UCLA Film and Television Archive
    • New orchestral score, composed and conducted by Carl Davis, presented in uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray
    • Audio commentary featuring director and Harold Lloyd archivist Richard Correll, film historian Richard Bann, and film critic and historian Leonard Maltin
    • Lloyd’s prologue to the film, created for the 1966 rerelease
    • Three newly restored Lloyd shorts: The Marathon (1919), with a new score by Gabriel Thibaudeau, and An Eastern Westerner and High and Dizzy (both 1920), with new scores composed and conducted by Davis
    • Big Man on Campus, a new visual essay on the film’s locations by silent-film historian John Bengtson
    • Conversation between Correll and film historian Kevin Brownlow
    • Footage from a 1963 Delta Kappa Alpha tribute to Lloyd, featuring comedian Steve Allen, director Delmer Daves, and actor Jack Lemmon
    • Lloyd’s 1953 appearance on the television show What’s My Line?
    • One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats
    • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Stephen Winer

TITLE: THE FRESHMAN (dual-format Blu-ray and DVD edition)
    CAT. NO: CC2346BDDVD
    UPC: 7-15515-11291-8
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-808-8
    SRP: $39.95
    PREBOOK: 2/25/14
    STREET: 3/25/14

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Its too bad the couldn't have included a copy of Mad Wednesday / Sin Of Harold Diddlebock with this. It would have been a fantastic second feature.

JoHud likes this.
  3. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    And public domain, too--Would've been so easy. Love it when Criterion rescues those.

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Agreed. As a result I'm a bit on the fence with this one. Not sure if I need to upgrade my DVD set of this, even though this one includes a new short.

5. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    unlike a lot of the other silent that we get, the benefit of the Lloyd films is that pretty much they have been in control of the Lloyd Estate, better prints, and apparently better taken care of, remember when the discussing the New Line Box set release that the family was instrumental in a good release. Judging from the release of Safety Last, lets just say that I am stoked to know this is coming in a few months, and the fact that it has a new previously unreleased short, makes it all the better.

and on the subject of the shorts would this be the first presentations Criterion had done from Hal Roach as a director? :D

6. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I think the DVD set looks pretty good, but I'll probably get this when there's a Criterion sale as I did with Safety Last.

7. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Perhaps Criterion is saving such a bonus feature for when they start releasing the "lesser" Lloyd titles in order to make them more tempting,

8. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    The reason I suggested this is because if is an actual sequel to The Freshman

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now available for preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

10. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    It's also interesting to compare the Lloyd cut to the Howard Hughes' cut. There are significant differences, in my recollection (of maybe 35 years ago).