Criterion Press Release: The Double Life of Veronique (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hmmm... Looks like the only notable diffs (from the UK import released by Artificial Eye) are the additions of the feature-length commentary track w/ Annette Insdorf and the booklet -- assuming PQ/AQ is essentially the same.

Probably not enough diff for me to re-dip...

_Man_

3. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    The UK release has been pretty heavily DNRd - there's a lot of frozen grain in the image. I'm hoping the Criterion will be superior.

4. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

The UK release is not DNRed.

5. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs

Not as badly as some titles, but there's definitely frozen grain throughout the film. I'm not the only one to think so, either:

http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives/2010/02/bd-impressions-the-double-life-of-veronique/

Right from the word go, it's clear that the image has been blasted with heavy noise reduction, rendering the grain static and unnatural and giving many shots a soft, rather smudgy quality. Some of the close-ups look decent, but a lot of the time I was reminded of a Universal catalogue title in terms of the overall texture of the image. The noise reduction is so heavy that, during fades to black, elements of the previous scene remain faintly ghosted on to the image.

6. Michel_Hafner

I'll have to have a close look on my bright Kuro to say more. During projection I saw no 'disturbing' issues at all. But my projection is rather dark at the moment since the bulb is (too) old. That can hide issues a brighter picture would show.

Update: I watched about 30 minutes on the Kuro and there are indeed some artifacts that are likely DNR related. Some strangely floating grain and sometimes flickering. They are infrequent and IMHO minor and not distracting. But they are there and might bother you if you are sensitive to this.

7. Michel_Hafner

Criterion release has a lot more grain than UK release. So UK is indeed quite some DNRed.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDreviews26/double_life_of_veronique.htm

Lesson learned: Don't talk about DNR if you have not seen the disc on a display so bright that you can

see grain detail well.

Now I wish the Criterion had the bit rate of the UK release. Would help define the grain better.