Criterion Press Release: The Big Chill (Dual Format)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I believe the earlier Criterion laser did not have any supplements. The only one I can find is a CLV movie-only edition.

2. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    could mean silverado's the next kasdan even though its already out on bluray?

3. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    If there is a next one.

4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    What's there to add to Silverado anyway?

5. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I watched the new Criterion blu-ray last night on my projection system. What a pleasure! The image quality is marvelous; I felt like I could step right into the picture and spend the weekend.

It is wonderful to see so much detail that I had never seen before. I saw it only once on the big screen, when it came out in 1983. I was only 19, but I loved it; I didn't necessarily "get it" like I do now, but I was living far from home for the first time and it made me feel like I had friends. :) After that, I recorded it from HBO and watched that VHS many times. I never bought the laserdisc because, at the time, the laserdiscs coming from what was then RCA/Columbia Home Video were among the worst and I simply wasn't going to spend the money and be disappointed again (which is ironic since these days the Columbia catalog is looking so terrific thanks to Sony). I am not sure why I never picked up the Criterion laserdisc, but the VHS served me until the 15th anniversary DVD.

One thing I noticed in particular is that nuances in facial expressions are, to me, so much more apparent in hi-def. As an example, there is a moment between William Hurt and Tom Berenger that I had actually never noticed before, and it is an important moment for their characters. It takes place on the extreme left of the frame, and I am wondering if it was actually cropped in the pan-and-scan version I watched for so many years. (The conversation is actually going on more to the right of the frame and for pan and scan there may have been a compromise there. Thank goodness we have most new releases in OAR now.) I reviewed the DVD and William Hurt's face is so dark you can't see the intensity of his expression, but on the blu-ray it reads beautifully. In case there are those who haven't seen this film, I will say more about this moment in a spoiler.

In the final scene of the film, William Hurt brings in a newspaper clipping and gives it to Jeff Goldblum. Hurt then goes behind Berenger and puts his hands on his shoulders; the two look into each others eyes intently, it is a wonderful moment of reconciliation between the two (they had angry words the night before) and touched my heart. I had never noticed that before and that moment is so rich for me, I am thrilled to have finally discovered it. This cap is from the standard def DVD but illustrates the moment; Hurt's expression is much clearer and not so dark on the blu-ray. Reconcile.JPG

I am so pleased with this blu-ray. The only thing that could have made it even better is if they had included the flashback sequence in the extras, but I suspect they would have to pay Costner a hefty sum for that since he was eliminated from the film.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nice post, Kevin! :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to my own viewing of the new Blu of The Big Chill sometime soon. I don't think I've seen it since seeing it in the theater.

Mark Walker and KPmusmag like this.
  7. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Watched the Criterion blu-ray on my main screening system Tuesday night and it was an unbridled pleasure to see and hear the quality of this presentation...DP John Bailey did a great job of restoring the little details I saw off a 35mm print when the film was reissued theatrically by Sony for its 15th Anniversary...as for the DTS-MA-HD 5.1-channel surround mix, they did NOT go overboard and gimmick up the sound field, keeping the focus on dialogue clarity and the now-iconic music soundtrack...for historical purists, the original 1983 theatrical mono mix is intact on a 24-bit PCM track. With the features from the 15th Anniversary DVD ported over and the added bonus features and book included for this package, I consider the Criterion release to be the DEFINITIVE home theater presentation of this movie until Sony makes this available in TRUE 4k for home screens... :thumbs-up-smiley:

KPmusmag and Mark Walker like this.
  8. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    I just watched the Big Chill.
    At exactly 13.47'' (when the organ plays and after William Hurt laughs), there is a popping sound/glitch in the 5.1 mix.
    It isn't there in the mono audio.
    Can anyone who have the disc please verify if he hears it too?
    (This can be heard in the rear channels too)

edit: Never mind, I'm Ok now.

Used a different software to play the Bluray and it doesn't do it.

9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    If its TotalMediaTheater that pops a lot.

10. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    1981's "Continental Divide", with John Belushi and Blair Brown, was supposed to be Kasdan's Tracy/Hepburn tribute, but...if you don't remember it, there ya go.

As for anything after Grand Canyon, I'm keeping an open mind about SW:E7, but I'm getting the feeling that we're not going to get our vintage-genre Kasdan back again after "The Accidental Tourist". :(

(And happened to rent 1978's "The Big Fix" on Netflix, and was surprised at how much that first pioneered the "Whatever happened to the 60's?" idea even before Secaucus Seven or Big Chill. But it flew over our heads at the time.)

11. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    No, it was PowerDVD.

And it sounded more than a TMT pop. It was like a glitch in the encoding of the audio.

Anyway, I'm playing now the Bluray with MPC-HD and all is fine!