What's new

Criterion Press Release: Red River (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Doug,

Take it from a newbie who saw this for the first time via Criterion....

You will love this film.

I watched the longer version.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
LOVED IT Ron! I can't believe that I've never seen Red River before last night. I'd rank Wayne's performance right up there with his best, and Montgomery Clift was great as well. Loved the script and the cinematography too. Hard to believe this was released in 1948. I'd say it was a very innovative film for it's time. This is now my favorite Howard Hawks effort.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Doug,

Great to share that initial reaction with you.

Stay close to Crawdaddy. He's recommending some great westerns.

Next biggie on my list is Kino's The Unforgiven.

Another blind purchase thanks to Robert Crawford.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the tip Ron. I'll do that, and if you haven't picked up Jubal yet that's another western I think you'd probably enjoy. Glenn Ford is great in the film.

You know, as I was perusing the special features on Criterion's Red River release I was disappointed to see that there's no commentary. This film is ripe for a commentary track.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, Jubal has been on my wish list. Perhaps finally, next month,
I will purchase it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed Jubal when Criterion put it out a year or two ago. I had never seen before then, and I enjoyed it very much.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
dpippel said:
LOVED IT Ron! I can't believe that I've never seen Red River before last night. I'd rank Wayne's performance right up there with his best, and Montgomery Clift was great as well. Loved the script and the cinematography too. Hard to believe this was released in 1948. I'd say it was a very innovative film for it's time. This is now my favorite Howard Hawks effort.
Kind of amazing the film didn't sweep the oscars in '48, isn't it?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Red River was fantastic! Easily one of the best John Wayne movies I have ever
watched. His performance in this film was memorable. True, I haven't seen enough
Wayne movies to proclaim this his very best, but I think it would be difficult for me to
find another of his films as enjoyable as this one.

Not necessarily complaining, but I am fighting for shelf space in my home to store
all my Blu-rays and DVDs.
The best western ever made, i'm glad you enjoyed it.

I know what you mean with shelf space issues, i have run out and i am trying to figure out what to do, i'm not much of a DIY person so putting shelves up is not ideal, right now i have quite a few blu ray titles just stacked on top of each other sitting around.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
jim_falconer said:
Kind of amazing the film didn't sweep the oscars in '48, isn't it?
Well it WAS up against some pretty big contenders - Hamlet, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and The Red Shoes. Still, I think that Red River was robbed. Hawks, Wayne, and Clift weren't nominated for anything and the film itself only for editing and writing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For those interested that don't already have it in their disc library, Criterion is re-releasing Red River on June 20th. It has been OOP for a good while. Just in time for B&N's July sale. :)

Red River (Criterion)
That's great news for those who don't have it. I reviewed the original dual format Blu-ray release here though the formatting is now all wonky due to changing servers down through the years. I do know what a paragraph is! :D

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
For those interested that don't already have it in their disc library, Criterion is re-releasing Red River on June 20th. It has been OOP for a good while. Just in time for B&N's July sale. :)

Red River (Criterion)
Robert -- Thank you SO much for this information! I plan to add Criterion's "River" to my Blu-ray library since I didn't pick it up on its original release a few years ago and I'll be sure to do so during B&N's July sale. 😃

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis

Red River (Criterion)
I have been looking all over the net to see if there is anything different about this release. I have the 2014 Criterion (Spine 709) that came with a paperback edition of Chase's novel. Does this new release have anything to add?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have been looking all over the net to see if there is anything different about this release. I have the 2014 Criterion (Spine 709) that came with a paperback edition of Chase's novel. Does this new release have anything to add?
No, they're releasing it again because I believe it was OOP for most retailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks