What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
No matter how many times I warn and explain it to him, a friend of mine makes a lot of his choices judged on Amazon reviews.

After being disappointed with the quality of a disc he'd just bought.
Me: " Why on earth did you buy that disc?"
Friend: " I read the reviews (Amazon) and they all said the quality was good."

Some people never learn.

Doug.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The Blu-ray release should have come with a shriveled piece of O-neg, captioned with, "Just a taste of what we had to deal with to bring this new restoration to your home..." Nestled with the shrunken brown film strip would be rust particles from the film cans. And a preserved clump of hair, presumably pulled out during the months-long restoration effort.The stench of vinegar should have wafted out of the packaging with the same lurid fervor as the cotton candy stench esconsed in Katy Perry's limited edition CD.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
4gci.jpg

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Just got through both blurays and would like to thank Criterion and RAH for probably one of the greatest special editions of any movie I've ever seen. I have one of those Sony 3D headsets and watched everything as if it was on a 200ft screen -- what a sight, in all respects.

The extended version was terrific but the audio commentary is one of the best I've ever heard. Considering the three hour running time, I'm sure those three guys had their behind the scenes stories timed to the second, the timing was almost as good as the gags deliverd by the stars in the movie. Loved that Cinerama opening card -- when you saw that, you knew you were in for something special.

The special features also were fantastic -- Stan Freberg, what a legend. Those tv and radio ads -- brilliant (anyone else notice Don Knotts was in one of the radio ads?)

That two part Canadian special on the premiere of the movie -- amazing: in the first show, one of the UA managers or publicity people, telling off one of the tv journalists for not asking enough questions! The second show, at the premiere -- how did they do that?! With that headset of mine on, seeing this sequence, with the camera swirling around Milton Berle, Phil Silvers, Sid Caesar and the rest on that red carpet (and listening to everything they said), it was virtual reality.....in black and white. Loved the scene where Mickey Rooney holds up the Governor and the ceremony opening the Cinerama Dome so he could say hello and sign an autograph for a little girl. Unbelevably, we then follow Mickey and his family as they go through the doors of the theatre (where we and Mickey are practcally swallowed up by the crowd!).

Also -- after the movie -- Terry Thomas looking relieved and very happy, but Stanley Kramer, looking very nervous despite everyone raving to him about the picture. I loved the fact that despite what he must have had on his mind at the time, the grace Stanley Kramer showed when what must have been two of his relatives came up to him and started nagging him over how they were going to get home from the theatre. I loved every nano-second of these shows.

Also "The Last 70mm Festival" -- how great it was to see all these people in 2012, talk about 'get up and go' -- I knew it would take heaven and earth to keep Jonathan Winters from such an event and glad to see him, still hilarious, in what has to be his last on camera appearance. Also Mickey Rooney, still, well, Mickey, and a nice tribute everyone paid to Ernest Borgnine, who passed away the day before.

Stuff I would have never had a chance, ever, of seeing -- all in this beautiful set. Also the effort Criterion went with giving a true fan of this picture, what they'd like -- a great little booklet with NEW drawings by Jack Davis -- that truly was a nice touch.

This set is sure to be on high rotation at my place in the years to come. To everyone involved, many thanks from a fan in Australia!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
ahollis said:
You would think they would at least watch the featurette on the restoration. Those common man reviews aren't even laughable because of the lack of knowledge displayed. I feel for them.
I fear for the future.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Watched and listened to the extended version commentary over the weekend. What a treat and so very entertaining. Thank you [color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Mark Evanier, Michael Schlesinger and Paul Scrabo; great job guys. This is a gift that keeps on giving. [/color]

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Dee Zee said:
Watched and listened to the extended version commentary over the weekend. What a treat and so very entertaining. Thank you [color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Mark Evanier, Michael Schlesinger and Paul Scrabo; great job guys. This is a gift that keeps on giving. [/color]
Thanks--we're very proud of it.

FTR, our first pass was pretty free-wheeling with regard to time, because these things are always edited. When we went back to fill some holes, then we did pretty much time things out so as not to lop off the start of something we were keeping.

Mike S.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
OK, received my IAMMMMW 2 CD soundtrack set from La La Land Records. Thank you so nice to hear the entire score. You did a great job with what you had to work with.

About the only thing I'm missing right now are 5 inch action figures of the main cast.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Will the 2014 reissue of IAMMMMW screen in the Cinerama Dome anytime in the near future? I'm on the East Coast but I'd make a trip West to see in on a curved screen with a full house.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Dee Zee said:
Will the 2014 reissue of IAMMMMW screen in the Cinerama Dome anytime in the near future? I'm on the East Coast but I'd make a trip West to see in on a curved screen with a full house.
This reconstruction was done for video by Criterion ( and Mr Harris ). it currently does not exist in the 2K or 4K format used for theatrical exhibition. The quality differences are so pronounced at times that this cut exists more as a historical record rather than a general audience version.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Rob W said:
This reconstruction was done for video by Criterion ( and Mr Harris ). it currently does not exist in the 2K or 4K format used for theatrical exhibition. The quality differences are so pronounced at times that this cut exists more as a historical record rather than a general audience version.
It will be shown again at the Aero on March 30th, presumably in 70mm.

There are a number of theatres, especially rep houses, than can play DVDs and Blus, so it's not impossible that the longer version could show in such a theatre. I can't imagine MGM/UA would object as long as they get their film rental.

Mike S.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Rob W said:
I meant the theatrical version, not the extended version. Wasn't a DCP made of the theatrical version?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Dee Zee said:
I meant the theatrical version, not the extended version. Wasn't a DCP made of the theatrical version?
Sorry about that. Yes, the general release version is available in DCP .

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
However on the other hand, I'd probably only go see the longer cut in a theater. I just get distracted watching the short version thinking about all the stuff I'm missing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks