What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (4 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is it seamless branching or does each version get its own disc?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So I assume the extras will be spread out across both Blurays then ?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
ahollis said:
Thank you. Knowing of your involvement in this is also a major plus.
It isn't just my involvement. The concept of "good enough" is not in the Criterion mindset. They have done everything possible to make this release of the highest possible order, within the confines of extant film elements.

RAH

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw Ron , how long did you know the details and how hard was it to keep quiet? ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Btw Ron , how long did you know the details and how hard was it to keep quiet? ;)
For a few months now. Was speaking to several sources including the folks
at Criterion who understood my love for this film and the push our forum members
have made over the past several years for a longer, restored version. The people
at Criterion have been long-time readers of HTF.

Really, I was amazed at the kindness that Criterion showed and the amount of
information they were willing to share -- certainly in an effort to convince me that
this was going to be a stunning release.

I have spoken with people that have actually seen bits of the restoration. You will
hear from those individuals very shortly. I had hoped to see some of it myself --
which may or may not happen prior to release date -- but really, I was just very
happy to receive continual updates, being able to know that everyone was quite
pleased with the restoration results.

The worst part of this all was jumping the gun two months ago suggesting that an
announcement was forthcoming, only to find out that Criterion had not fully realized
the scope of the restoration efforts and needed to put more serious time into making
everything look perfect.

Really, this is a dream come true for me and many members of this forum. This is
pretty much the "kitchen sink" version I had hoped for, minus just a little footage from
the laserdisc release but additional footage we have not seen before.

I am sorry I haven't done so publicly already, but I want to thank Robert Harris and
Criterion for making this release possible. I also know there were many more people
outside of Criterion that need to be thanked as well.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Harris said:
It isn't just my involvement. The concept of "good enough" is not in the Criterion mindset. They have done everything possible to make this release of the highest possible order, within the confines of extant film elements.RAH
You are completely correct and I changed my post to reflect my thanks to all involved.

Danilo S.

Agent
A thing that I will happy to known is if the "Restored 4K digital film transfer of the general release version of the film" is a new one or is the same used for the MGM blu-ray.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Thank God they've finally announced it. Keeping my mouth shut was killing me! :dancing-banana-04:

Mike S.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Now if Mr. Harris can convince Criterion to get a hold of the Roadshow version of The Alamo....that would be frickin amazing! I would pay anything for them to get that film and do it right. While I do already have the blu of IAMMMMW, I will for sure be getting this one to replace it :) Amazing list of titles.
With this, and Thief, I will be one happy camper!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron and Criterion deserve awards for what they've done.
Please don't connect my name to this.

I am only a mouthpiece on this forum. I had nothing to do with
Criterion's restoration of the film.

(And, sorry, had to re-edit my response a few posts up as I am
doing several things at once on this end)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Before it comes up, I'll share the following.

On August 15, I spoke with Jerry Lewis and got his personal approval to include his live two hour ABC show with the cast from November 2, 1963.

Sadly, his son Chris has other plans for releasing that show so it didn't happen. :(

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Ronald Epstein said:
Please don't connect my name to this.

I am only a mouthpiece on this forum. I had nothing to do with
Criterion's restoration of the film.
No, you deserve an award as well for keeping quite about this for how long and just giving us little bits of information to go on until now. I now if I knew what you knew about the on going process of this film, I'd exploded from keeping hush hush about it for so long.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
darkrock17 said:
No, you deserve an award as well for keeping quite about this for how long and just giving us little bits of information to go on until now. I now if I knew what you knew about the on going process of this film, I'd exploded from keeping hush hush about it for so long.
Yep me too, this would be harder than keeping national secrets.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't really want a breakdown of new scenes/edits. I want to wait till I see it for myself. Can I ask for spoiler alerts if anyone choose s to list the new content?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks