What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Sad about Mickey's state these days. Clearly he's always been a bit eccentric but it's entirely possible that old age (early Alzheimers?) coupled with the elder abuse he suffered have taken a toll on him. He did seem much more coherent during his Congressional testimony a couple of years back but that was also a more structured environment where he could read from prepared text. The irony is that he physically looks better now than he did a decade ago having lost all the weight he gained in his later years.

Also sad that he's now estranged from his last wife (whose son is alleged to have abused him) as they had a relatively long (and seemingly happy) marriage before this all transpired.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I only just heard about the latest marriage fallout.

Sid Caesar's absence I assume is due to some serious health issues, though he was in a recent documentary where he's part of some deli lunch club or something. Among the still surviving cameos, Jerry Lewis is certainly up for attention, though his 20 second MAD WORLD appearance sort of limits his input I guess. Carl Reiner is still with us. Stan Freberg, among some other possible peripherals. Quite a toll otherwise the last ten years.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Sid Caesar is hampered my mobility issues and looked frail a decade ago. Carl Reiner from most reports is still in good shape although at his age that can change on a daily basis. He was unable to appear at the SAG awards to give Dick Van Dyke his award but he did make it to Mel Brook's tribute show this year. I've noticed that he's now considerably hunched over.

Lewis and Rooney on the same stage at the same time???? They haven't built a stage yet large enough for their combined egos :) Heaven help us if that ever happens.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I've noticed that Reiner gets a few memories bobbled, but is generally sharp. Meanwhile, contemporaries Mel Brooks and especially Dick Van Dyke seem in great shape for their age.

I wonder how many crew members from MAD WORLD are still among us! I'm sure they have stories worth sharing, if possible! Like others have said, this movie deserves an epic book.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
When I was writing books about movies, I managed to gain rather privileged access to the archives of what were then Columbia Studios and MGM. Studio files are invariably revealing and one can track an entire production through myriad memos, continuity sheets etc. Today, I think it might be more difficult to obtain this sort of access but maybe the Kramer family has kept their own archive or perhaps have donated files to bodies like AMPAS or UCLA where I have also foraged with great results.

I learned over the years that while memories of casts and crew could be colourful, they were often unreliable and inevitably self-serving.

Getting a book published on Mad World would be unlikely in my view - it lacks both cult and cultural status. Sad but true.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Actually its cult status seems pretty impressive around here, compared to writing a book on, say, BEACH BLANKET BINGO. ^_^

I'm sure a rabid audience would make it worthwhile, however relatively limited the number. It's such a one of a kind movie.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
AdrianTurner said:
When I was writing books about movies, I managed to gain rather privileged access to the archives of what were then Columbia Studios and MGM. Studio files are invariably revealing and one can track an entire production through myriad memos, continuity sheets etc. Today, I think it might be more difficult to obtain this sort of access but maybe the Kramer family has kept their own archive or perhaps have donated files to bodies like AMPAS or UCLA where I have also foraged with great results.

I learned over the years that while memories of casts and crew could be colourful, they were often unreliable and inevitably self-serving.

Getting a book published on Mad World would be unlikely in my view - it lacks both cult and cultural status. Sad but true.
Well, I can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in Southern California, where many towns and cities were used as filming locations, IAMMMMW still has a very strong cult status and, I would say, a cultural status as well. It's one of the quintessential "California" movies, ranking alongside everything from Sunset Blvd. to the Frankie Avalon-Annette Funicello beach party comedies.

Most everyone I know around here is at least familiar with the film and everyone over a certain age has seen it more than once.

I frankly can't think of a film from this era with a stronger cult following.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
BarryR said:
I only just heard about the latest marriage fallout.

Sid Caesar's absence I assume is due to some serious health issues, though he was in a recent documentary where he's part of some deli lunch club or something. Among the still surviving cameos, Jerry Lewis is certainly up for attention, though his 20 second MAD WORLD appearance sort of limits his input I guess. Carl Reiner is still with us. Stan Freberg, among some other possible peripherals. Quite a toll otherwise the last ten years.
Carl Reiner suffers from intense egomania. At one of these discussions he said he did the single funniest thing in the whole movie, then proceeded to tell what it was. It was totally unfunny, of course.

Get this: I actually stood next to him at the world premiere of his movie "Enter Laughing." I heard him tell someone that someone said it was the funniest movie since the Marx Brothers, thirty years before. (Whoever that was, no one else on earth agreed with him. Maybe it was his agent.)

I do admit I'm in a bad mood concerning him because I recently had the misfortune of seeing his movie "Where's Poppa?" for the first time, and it instantly went on my list of The Ten Worst Movies I've Ever Seen.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
BarryR said:
Jerry Lewis is certainly up for attention, though his 20 second MAD WORLD appearance sort of limits his input I guess
Jerry could tell about how he lost $500 in Phil Silver's crap game he had going between takes while filming.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Joe Lugoff said:
Carl Reiner suffers from intense egomania. At one of these discussions he said he did the single funniest thing in the whole movie, then proceeded to tell what it was. It was totally unfunny, of course.

Get this: I actually stood next to him at the world premiere of his movie "Enter Laughing." I heard him tell someone that someone said it was the funniest movie since the Marx Brothers, thirty years before. (Whoever that was, no one else on earth agreed with him. Maybe it was his agent.)

I do admit I'm in a bad mood concerning him because I recently had the misfortune of seeing his movie "Where's Poppa?" for the first time, and it instantly went on my list of The Ten Worst Movies I've Ever Seen.
One would presume that you are making the above psychoanalytical comment about Mr. Reiner as a medical professional. One would also presume that under medical propriety, he is not one of your patients. Are you quite certain about your comment, as you're making it on the public record?

RAH

HarleyDog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis Haney
Joe Lugoff said:
One of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I worked as an extra alongside both Buddy Hackett and Marvin Kaplan on separate occasions and I have to say they both made the work a joy.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
rmw650 said:
Cannot wait to get this set as this would be the first-ever Criterion DVD set I would be buying as well.
You don't have a blu ray player? If you don't I suggest getting one so you can enjoy this film the way it was meant to be enjoyed. You can get a bluray player for about the price of this set nowadays too

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Robert Harris said:
One would presume that you are making the above psychoanalytical comment about Mr. Reiner as a medical professional. One would also presume that under medical propriety, he is not one of your patients. Are you quite certain about your comment, as you're making it on the public record?

RAH
If you presume I'm making my comments as a medical professional, that's your presumption, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Based on what I've heard Reiner say in interviews and based on what I've read about him -- and based on what I heard him say with my own ears from a foot away at the world premiere of "Enter Laughing" -- I stand by what I said and I'm keeping it on the public record.

Anyone is free to contribute examples of Reiner's modesty to counterbalance my stories of his egotism.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
HarleyDog said:
One of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen in my life.
Yes. And it's one thing to be risque and irreverent, but that movie is just plain disgusting and vulgar.

The ending didn't seem right and I read that UA refused to release Reiner's original ending because it went too far. Considering what they left in, can you imagine how disgusting it must have been? (I've read what it was, and I won't say what it makes me think of Reiner because I don't want my hero RAH on my case again.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks