Criterion Press Release: Island of Lost Souls (DVD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

2. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Last time it was released was on LD, so let's hope they at least try to do some clean up work because the LD was very soft. I wonder why they can't use the artwork from the original poster...or is that the original artwork???

3. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    It's not the original poster and I'm sure they'll be an image gallery of some sort. Personally I'm fine with the cover as Criterion is one of the very few companies that actually commissions original art for their covers.

4. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I was put off by it at first, but the cover art has been growing on me.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

An exciting release from Criterion. I've been wanting this film on DVD for a long time. I can't wait to buy the Blu-ray. I don't think much of the new cover art. I suppose it gets the job done. But I wish Criterion would find a use for the original poster art on its covers. I much prefer these: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

Exciting news about the release but I agree about the cover art. I'm also glad I held off buying the Spanish release ; the Criterion will be superior.

7. ColbyCo82

ColbyCo82 Stunt Coordinator

Steven
    I have never cared for the original advertising material for Island of Lost Souls. Its as if Paramount had no idea how to market the film...or they were trying to hide the fact that it was science fiction/horror. All the original posters that I have seen hype up THE PANTHER WOMAN and make the film look like this is going to be some kind of "femme fatale (i.e. Marlene Dietrich) in the tropics" film.

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I much prefer Paramount's poster, the top one, over Criterion's original art. I wished they had used that instead, perhaps cut off the top blurb about the panther woman. She is not a femme fatale, exactly, because she can't help what she really is, but her allure entices the protagonist, effects his emotions, influences his decisions, and trips him up in the end. I'd say she belongs on the poster and on the DVD / BR cover. This is an exciting release in any case and I know it's going to look great.

9. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Way to go Universal and Criterion!