Criterion Press Release: Eclipse Series 30: SABU!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

2. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Finally, Sabu gets his very own set! Not to mention this is an excellent companion piece to the Alexander Korda Eclipse set and the upcoming Four Feathers. It looks like I might see a complete Korda filmography in my lifetime.

3. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

Excellent news! I'll be getting this just for the remastered version of "lost forever in PD hell" The Jungle Book, a darn fine film that I would have bought if Criterion had released it alone. The other two films are just a nice bonus on top of that. The current PD release of it that I have from Alpha is far and away the worst DVD transfer I have ever seen in my life. The old VHS copy I used to have from Goodtimes was literally like a Blu-ray compared to the PQ of the Alpha release, which looks like it was solarized or something.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Unlike the Criterion titles, the Eclipse series does not "remaster" its films but offers them in the best possible versions that are available. I suspect the Eclipse edition of The Jungle Book will be the same R2 version available via Network in Great Britain. It's a more than decent transfer and the best available print of The Jungle Book currently available and light years ahead of the public domain prints circulating. But don't go expecting pristine Thief Of Bagdad or Black Narcissus quality. http://www.thecinemascopecat.blogspot.com