Criterion Press Release: David Lean Directs Noël Coward (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

2. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Hopefully Oliver Twist, Summertime, and Great Expectations are following shortly on the heels of this set.

3. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Exciting stuff. I recently recorded "In Which We Serve" off of Turner Classic Movies and it was a pretty good print compared to the public domain versions out there. It will be great to get all of these titles on Blu. Criterion and Kino are just about the only companies out there who aren't afraid to release catalog titles on Blu-ray.

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Talk about perfection! I love David Lean's early films. I can't wait to experience these on Blu-ray, and without the 4% PAL speed-up of the region 2 DVD's. Release date is 27 March, 2012. Let's hope that Great Expectations (1946), Oliver Twist (1948), The Passionate Friends (1949), Madeleine (1950), Breaking the Sound Barrier (1952), Hobson's Choice (1954) and a newly remastered Summertime (1955) will soon follow. In particular, The Passionate Friends, Madeleine, and Breaking the Sound Barrier are exquisitely crafted and terribly underestimated films.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Very excited to blind buy this provided amazon.ca isn't continuing it's crazy pricing practice.

6. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I expect these will be the BFI restorations co-funded by The David Lean Foundation. I've been watching these restorations on region 2 DVDs. The clarity and detail are startling. Lean knew his lenses and emulsions and how to get the best out of the lab. This Happy Breed (1944), with its suburban locations of England after the war photographed in a natural low-key color, is astonishing when you first see it. It looks as if it were shot today. A masterpiece of composition, editing and visual storytelling. The film provides a glimpse of the British in their natural habitat. Ronald Neame was the dp. What a team he and David Lean made.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

Now available for preorder

8. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Blithe Spirit has been a favorite of mine since I saw in on stage and the followed up by buying the DVD which has a transfer that, well, leaves much to be desired. I just watched it again last weekend and cannot wait to see it on Blu-ray, fully restored. Cannot wait to see Margaret Rutherford with all her "school girl" enthusiasm in HD!!!

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree about David Lean. Because he did that series of widescreen blockbusters like Kwai, Lawrence, and Zhivago, his early much lower budgeted films either are unknown or aren't remembered, and they're actually my favorites. I am REALLY looking forward to this box set, and I'd love to see Summertime with the proper aspect ratio show up on Blu-ray. (Hobson's Choice, too, and his Dickens adaptations).