Criterion Press Release: Blowout (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

2. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

That is just unbelievably awesome! However, while I think the cover design is interesting, I'm a big fan of the one-sheet and would have preferred that instead (and kept the new design for what I'm sure will be another elegant, informative booklet).

Can't wait for this!

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    One of my favorite 80's films. I would have liked to see something about the locations where the film was shot.

The Old Wanamaker Building and Fairmount Park locations and just about the entire film was Filmed in and around Philly.

Any deleted scenes, I know there is more then what is on the screen as at least one former local radio host was in the movie and his scene as shown was about 2 seconds, cut very short.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I had that hanging on the wall of my apartment in college.

5. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'm really looking forward to this...an excellent film and one I haven't watched in at least 15 years. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's getting the Criterion treatment.

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Good call for MGM to licence this to Criterion. One of my favourite DePalmas.

7. Brianruns10

Brianruns10 Second Unit

This MGM Criterion collaboration is proving quite fruitful, and one can only wonder what may come next?

I've heard some rumblings about a release of Heaven's Gate. I'd love to see a nice release of both the director's cut and the theatrical cut (which has never seen a home video release in the U.S.).

8. Brisby

Brisby Second Unit

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the "More!" might mean some input from De Palma fan Quentin Tarantino (who cast John Travolta in Pulp Fiction based largely on the strength of his performance in this film). Hopefully a full-length commentary (he's not shy about doing commentaries on other people's films), but at least an interview/appreciation.

9. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Good lord, that cover art sucks!

10. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    I think the cover art is really awesome. I was aware the title was coming from a previous clue post in a past newsletter. I was curious what type of artwork would be used, I figured the original style poster art was out of the running, but the final result is really nice.

Great Image never expected it. Wasn't sure about the font layout at first but the more you look at it the more it seems perfect.

Maybe Criterion also has their hands on Dressed to Kill for a future release?

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I like the cover image but I don't think it's all that indicative of the movie as a whole. I guess that's what cool about Criterion though, they don't have to catch the average person's eye at Wal Mart or Best Buy so they can just choose an interesting picture for the cover.

12. Brisby

Brisby Second Unit

13. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

Criterion has updated the Special Features and the "More!" from the press release really is worth the "!":

14. Derrick King

Bah, forget my last post as Criterion's Blow Out page no longer lists those two extras.

15. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Supporting Actor

why on earth do we need this before many MGM UA Films with no 16x9 transfers,this is a good film at best,One just has to look at MGM Hd for a couple of Years to see some

of what they got

16. Derrick King

On their Facebook page, Criterion responded to a question about the appearance and disappearance of Murder à la Mod:
    "That was a mistake on our end. That particular supplement isn't 100% confirmed, so it had to be taken down. We'll keep you in the loop; we should know within a few weeks."

17. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Are you kidding?! I love this cover. The original one-sheet was decent, but I'm not sorry to see it replaced by the Criterion image, which is quite striking and has a great three-dimensional quality. My favorite parts of this film involve its attention to the minutia of film production and post-production and this image emphasizes that while also addressing the inner turmoil of Travolta's character.

18. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I love it too, and I'm usually a proponent of original artwork. But for the reasons already stated, this one is fascinating and compelling.

19. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

No I'm not kidding. After looking again at that horrendous monstrosity my opinion hasn't changed. Deal with it.

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    "Deal With It"? Jeez kinda grumpy there.