Criterion Press Release: Anatomy of a Murder (DVD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

2. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Out of the newly announced Criterion DVD (and Blu-ray) titles, Anatomy of a Murder (1959) stands out for me. The Region 2 release, has a few extras. Pity Criterion's releases couldn't be region free.

3. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    It's a definate improvement over the current edition, that has no real bonus features. I'll pick it up.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Curious, I thought Criterion charged the same price for DVD and blu but the price point here is $29.95 for the 2 disc DVD and $39.95 for the blu edition. Not that I care since I'm not a blu fanboy myself. It will be nice to have Anatomy Of A Murder in its theatrical 1.85 aspect ratio though.

5. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Aspect ratio controversy brewing: http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2011/11/185_fascism_str.php

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Well, I must confess that the uncropped screen shots do look better in the aesthetic sense. Hmm ... maybe I'll stick with my old Columbia 1.33 DVD after all. Perhaps, cropping it to a 1.66 ratio would have been preferable. Does remind me a bit of the pro and con controversy over the Criterion DVD of Sirk's Magnificent Obsession and its aspect ratio.

7. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

It plays just fine at 1.33...but is it correct? Wondering...and what's the OAR of ON THE WATERFRONT while we're at it?

8. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    Anatomy of a Murder is undoubtedly 1.85. The original disc was one of a few Sony discs that had the wrong AR. On the Waterfront is also 1.85, I remember a thread here on HTF from a few years ago where someone posted newspaper clippings from it's original release in 1954 confirming as much.

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

They lowered the DVD prices about a year ago. Used to be the same, but now DVDs are $10 less than Blu (with Blu prices staying the same).

10. ShowsOn

ShowsOn Second Unit

Completely disagree. The full frame transfer has way too much headroom. There's some more comparisons here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/anatomy.htm All of the full frame shots have too much headroom. Personally I think 1.85:1 films should just be transferred as 16:9 anyway.