What's new

Criterion loses rights to all Merchant Ivory titles (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This just posted on Criterion's Facebook page:
All the films in our Merchant Ivory collection, plus our Criterion releases of HOWARDS END (pictured), are going out of print. We’re selling them through the end of June.
Looks like I'll have to grab a copy of Howards End on Blu-ray before it's gone, since it's the only BD of Howards End that will play in region A.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well I guess that'll make that guy who keeps complaining about the grain on Howards' End happy.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh lordy, here we go again.

Is there a quick and dirty list of their Merchant Ivory titles somewhere?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Apparently its due to a dispute between Ivory and his bond company, not Studio Canal.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Well since Howard's End on Blu was a result of a poll by Criterion, maybe it's time for another one. Or maybe I had voted for Picnic at Hanging Rock and am still bitter that it hasn't been released yet.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
At a glance, I don't know how many of those titles I know enough or care enough about to go crazy acquiring them right now. I'll do some checking today.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
does criterion get a license that allows them to make only so much of a title ?

Derrick King

Screenwriter
No, Criterion licenses titles for a set amount of time, usually a number of years. These are going OOP because of this.

Janus' rights to HOWARDS END was supposed to end March 13, 2014. I guess the early termination was part of the settlement.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
My understanding of the dispute is that it's a money/distribution rights matter.

Criterion's license was renewed through a third party company, which Criterion understood to have the authority to negotiate it. Turns out that Merchant Ivory had a different idea about that. So Merchant Ivory sued both Janus and the third party, essentially saying "these guys didn't have that authority and you shouldn't have worked through them." I note that Merchant Ivory had no complaint to speak of about the QUALITY of the discs. It was simply a matter of who negotiated the rights to release them. The fact that the matter settled with both sides paying their own costs tells me this was not a huge matter.

In the end here, Criterion's license lapses and these titles go out of print. Merchant Ivory is free to try another distributor if they believe this will get them a better situation. Frankly, I think they would have been better off staying with Criterion. But licenses lapse all the time.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Kevin EK said:
Merchant Ivory is free to try another distributor if they believe this will get them a better situation. Frankly, I think they would have been better off staying with Criterion.
So true, especially in this market, I'm not sure any other distributor will treat those films as well as Janus/Criterion did.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Derrick King said:
No, Criterion licenses titles for a set amount of time, usually a number of years. These are going OOP because of this.
Could this be why Warner/BBC's Blu-Ray for A Room with a View went OOP a few years ago? Or did that licence just expire and they couldn't renew it?

It's my favorite Merchant Ivory film (granted, I've only seen a few of their films), I was always hoping Criterion would pick it up for their line.

I guess I'll have to order Jane Austen in Manhattan, Heat and Dust, Maurice, and Howards End sooner rather than later.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
I wouldn't bother with "Jane Austen in Manhattan" unless you're an absolute completist.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Escapay said:
Could this be why Warner/BBC's Blu-Ray for A Room with a View went OOP a few years ago? Or did that licence just expire and they couldn't renew it?
This doesn't have anything to do with that. I imagine the second scenario you mention is right. The license expired and, for whatever reason, it wasn't renewed.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
It's a shame these Merchant Ivory films are getting so hard to find on Blu-ray, since they seem ideally suited for the format. I have A Room With a View and Howards End and both are tremendously detailed.

I coincidentally happened to be in London during the original theatrical release of Howards End and saw it on an enormous screen in Mayfair. Great experience.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
They say they renewed the deal with a third party who criterion was told controlled the rights but didnt.M/I were always incredibly difficult to deal with, even to the point of insisting on their own branding rather than being included in the collection. The CC branded Howard's end only came much later than the original deal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks