Criterion in April

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Jan 16, 2008.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Very nice. [​IMG]

Blast of Silence is a real surprise and crime film enthusiasts should love it. If I remember correctly, there was a commentary track on the German DVD release; a shame Criterion couldn't port that.

3. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Never heard of Blast of Silence, but it sounds appealing.

Has anyone guessed the movie in the Criterion newsletter hint?

4. Opi

Opi Stunt Coordinator

5. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

I also can't believe Criterion didn't / couldn't get the commentary. No doubt their transfer will be far superior to the German version, but big fans of the film will need / want to own both copies.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Now that would be excellent news!

I was Born But has been on my to rent list forever, but I've never been able to find it. So, I'm glad to see them releasing it, though I'll withhold judgment on the film itself til after I see it.

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Glad to see Death of a Cyclist coming out soon. It's a great Hitchcockian thriller that I somehow had never even heard of until it played on TCM a little over a year ago.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Also coming in April per criterionforum.org:

The Red Balloon (1956)

Newly restored and available for the first time on DVD, Albert Lamorisse’s exquisite The Red Balloon remains one of the most beloved children’s films of all time. In this deceptively simple, nearly wordless tale, a young boy discovers a stray balloon, which seems to have a mind of its own, on the streets of Paris. The two become inseparable, yet the world’s harsh realities finally interfere. With its glorious palette and allegorical purity, the Academy Award–winning The Red Balloon has enchanted movie lovers, young and old, for generations.

Single Disc
    SRP: $14.95

The White Mane (1953)

In the south of France, in a near-desert region called La Camargue, lives White Mane, a magnificent stallion and the leader of a herd of wild horses too proud to let themselves be broken in by humans. Only Folco, a young fisherman, manages to tame him. A strong friendship grows between the boy and the horse, as the two go looking for the freedom that the world of men won’t allow them. Long unavailable in the U.S., this extraordinarily shot wonder from Albert Lamorisse, the director of The Red Balloon, is a work of technical sophistication and immense natural beauty.

Single Disc

Paddle to the Sea (1966)

Based on Holling C. Holling’s beloved Caldecott-awarded children’s book, William Mason’s stunning film follows the adventures of a tiny, wood-carved canoe as it forges its own path from Lake Superior through the Great Lakes and down to the Atlantic Ocean. Buoyed by beautiful photography and a sense of true wonder about the sun, Earth, and water, the Academy Award–nominated Paddle to the Sea is an unforgettable tribute to the forces of the natural world, as well as a thrilling journey across the waves and rapids of North America.

Single Disc

9. Adam_Duncan

Adam_Duncan Stunt Coordinator

Are they ever going to release David Cronenberg's Crash on DVD? That's the film I want the most from Criterion.

10. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I'll be very happy to purchase this one.