What's new

Criterion Bottle Rocket? (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
The genius of Wes Anderson is making me love movies that I would probably hate given virtually any other director.

Whether Criterion handles it or not, Bottle Rocket deserves special edition treatment.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums seem at home in the Collection, but Bottle Rocket is the weakest of the bunch imo, and would not look right alongside Tokyo Story, 8 1/2 and the likes.
Honestly, I'd put BOTTLE ROCKET and LIFE AQUATIC ahead of those two films.

And as for the Criterion Collection, not everything they release is a classic film. They've put out quite a few B titles. Heck, remember THE ROCK and ARMAGEDDON? Those aren't even good enough to be B titles.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I tell people all the time that Bottle Rocket is my favorite movie of all time. This is just such an enjoyable movie, the characters are so fun, likeable and quirky. The script flows seemlessly, you almost have no choice but to feel like the characters are your buddies. Every time I watch it I pick up on another little line I may have missed, there's just so much going on in such a seemingly simple movie. I've had this in hopes for CC since Rushmore came out on the Collection, but if it hasn't happened yet, like someone said there was the opportunity to tie it into 3 different releases...I doubt it ever will.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I think Bottle Rocket is definitely deserving of the title. I think it's stronger than both TRT and TLA. And since Criterion has no problem releasing films like Armageddon, I see no problem with releasing this cult classic. That's what Criterion is there for.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Shame Columbia and Criterion can't work it out. I would love to see a SE of Bottle Rocket.

Hell, Columbia could get off its ass and make one.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you MarcoBiscotti. Bottle Rocket is quite possibly Anderson's strongest film. It is considerably more simple, and does not rely on as much of the visual details that the other films depend on. I am not saying that the films he has made since Bottle Rocket are necessarily weak. I think it is a natural progression of Anderson's style, I would compare the films to Fellini's career I Vitelloni to 8 1/2. But Bottle Rocket deserves credit, particularly if compared to most of the films made at the same time during the indie wave of the 90's, many of which are already dated and have shown not to be all they were hyped to be. Bottle Rocket holds it's own.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Criterion has had the opportunity to tie "Bottle Rocket" in with all three of their other Wes Anderson releases, yet they haven't
What part of Criterion doesn't have the rights are you guys having trouble with? Sony will NEVER give them to Criterion or anyone else -- they want to have as large a library as possible for their Blu-ray vs. HD DVD battle. They won't license. Period.

The studios that DO license to Criterion are Fox, Universal and New Line. WB, Sony, MGM and Paramount don't.

Ted

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
What part of Criterion doesn't have the rights are you guys having trouble with?
Did you even read my post? That was the obvious point I was making. If you read further, you would see I wrote "Sony doesn't deal with Criterion." I was trying to explain that if Criterion has had THREE good opportunities to release "Bottle Rocket" if there was any way they could work it out. The fact that they haven't shows that it's never gonna happen.

Haden

Supporting Actor
You know what? At this point I don't even care anymore if Criterion doesn't have the rights to do the DVD. I just want a special edition -- period! Unlike the days of laserdisc, Criterion isn't the only ones that can put out quality special editions with loads of extras now. I think we could get a real nice SE from another producer if they'd just put forth the effort. I'm just tired of having nothing but a barebones DVD compared to Anderson's other films.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
This is very true -- look at some of the excellent SE re-releases that Sony's given us lately -- Karate Kid, Silverado, The Professionals, among others. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
boy what a strange movie, I am trying to get through this movie that I tivo'd off HDnet movie channel and I am trying to figure out the direction it's going.

Ike

Screenwriter
boy what a strange movie, I am trying to get through this movie that I tivo'd off HDnet movie channel and I am trying to figure out the direction it's going.
Are you watching it in installments?

Bottle Rocket may be my favorite of Anderson's films. It's certainly the funniest.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Criterion release of Bottle Rocket was mentioned by the "guest critic that we like" on Ebert & Roeper last week.
So, I think it's a happening thing!

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
An interview he conducted with the boys at Ain't It Cool News goes into more detail. Anderson talks about trying to include "everything good" he can find, including mounds of deleted scenes, the original short film, and deleted scenes for the short film itself. He also hinted at releasing a longer cut of the film in this set!

Sa-weet. Criterion strikes gold again!

MatthewHA

Grip
"Criterion Bottle Rocket will be nothing more than a fanboy's wet dream."

Time to wake up, change the bedsheets and your underoos before mom sees them.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
^^ what's that quote from Matthew?

I thought this was confirmed and even sold off my old disc a couple of weeks ago.

lohanfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jill
I'm amazed this thread has been open for four years. I'm really looking forward to this Criterion Edition. I think its Wes Anderson's best film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks