What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Cool. As long as I'm not going to pay more for the "free" dvd, I'm sold. I just didn't want to see the end of $29.99 blu rays just because they now include a dvd version, and it sounds like I won't! :thumbsup:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
It's good that they've taken the time to answer these questions, but ultimately, it seems to come down to the cost of the packaging. And they say "We could stop making beautiful, substantive packaging, but that wasn’t really an option." Really? I'm surprised that packaging is such a priority for them, and indeed for buyers. You would think the priority is the quality of the transfer, preferably on the highest quality medium at the moment (BD). Most of the time our BDs are displaying only their spine, and the package serves primarily to protect the disc from harm. I never will understand the mentality where a fancy case and a booklet, or other ways of gussying up what is ultimately a movie on disc, are worth such a fuss over, and worth paying extra for. But I suppose it's just me who thinks this way.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Persianimmortal said:
It's good that they've taken the time to answer these questions, but ultimately, it seems to come down to the cost of the packaging. And they say "We could stop making beautiful, substantive packaging, but that wasn’t really an option." Really? I'm surprised that packaging is such a priority for them, and indeed for buyers. You would think the priority is the quality of the transfer, preferably on the highest quality medium at the moment (BD). Most of the time our BDs are displaying only their spine, and the package serves primarily to protect the disc from harm. I never will understand the mentality where a fancy case and a booklet, or other ways of gussying up what is ultimately a movie on disc, are worth such a fuss over, and worth paying extra for. But I suppose it's just me who thinks this way.
Luxurious packaging is why I still have my laserdiscs. I miss gatefold jackets and full-sized inserts. I look forward to Julie Kirgo's essays within the full-color booklets inside every Twilight Time release. And Criterion's deluxe packaging and booklets do mean a lot to me. That's what makes Criterion Criterion. The priority *is* on the quality of the transfer. And on the packaging as well. The priority is on providing a quality product all the way around and that's something that should be cherished and encouraged in this day and age.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Luxurious packaging is why I still have my laserdiscs. I miss gatefold jackets and full-sized inserts. I look forward to Julie Kirgo's essays within the full-color booklets inside every Twilight Time release. And Criterion's deluxe packaging and booklets do mean a lot to me. That's what makes Criterion Criterion. The priority *is* on the quality of the transfer. And on the packaging as well. The priority is on providing a quality product all the way around and that's something that should be cherished and encouraged in this day and age.

What a really well put post.

I think Criterion sets the bar for quality transfers and packaging.

I wouldn't want them to skimp anywhere in those areas.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I agree too, the packaging is a nice icing to the cake with Criterion, with their titles typically featuring some pretty substantial essays in the booklets that studios like Warners manage to miss doing on their DigiBook releases which sometimes have lots of pictures and no chapter/special feature for the bluray!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Persianimmortal said:
I don't think lowering the quality of the transfer was even a bullet point on how to control costs. Where as the possibility of cutting back on packaging could make a difference. Glad they didn't for I love the unique covers and look forward to the booklet to supplement my enjoyment of the film or director.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Persianimmortal said:
I'm surprised that packaging is such a priority for them, and indeed for buyers. You would think the priority is the quality of the transfer, preferably on the highest quality medium at the moment (BD). Most of the time our BDs are displaying only their spine, and the package serves primarily to protect the disc from harm. I never will understand the mentality where a fancy case and a booklet, or other ways of gussying up what is ultimately a movie on disc, are worth such a fuss over, and worth paying extra for. But I suppose it's just me who thinks this way.

You're not the only one. I don't even keep the packaging - all my discs are stored in binders and the packaging gets tossed.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I just about fainted reading that lol.I wouldn't have been as interested in owning every Criterion release if NOT for the packaging both for its beauty (in most cases) and for the amount of information included in same. Plus the look of the whole thing up on the shelves is one of my favorite things about my apartment.The fact that they also have movies in them is like a great bonus too!

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
I want The Big Chll and Tootsie released from Criterion, though they are probably w/ Twilight or Image.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
as was Armageddon and Citizen Kane and many, many others.I don't think LaserDisc history has any direct correlation to current releasing rights.

I'm not saying they don't have the rights (people here may have other facts at their disposal), but laserdisc history isn't an indicator - one way or another.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
And they did Armageddon on DVD...LD is a very good indicator of what titles they would seek to re-license as they have ready made supplements for those titles.

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
I'm not inclined to take any internet random speculation as gospel. If you indeed possess an inside info, as you claim, tell us- what are the other forthcoming titles included in Criterion/Sony deal?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks