What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (3 Viewers)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I might actually get all of these, even if most of them are reissues in my case.

I'm most happy with seeing I Married a Witch get released. Criterion's got several Walter Wanger/Castle Hill/Westchester Films properties that haven't ever gotten DVD releases and hope they continue with more. I particularly hope they get History Is Made At Night out n the near future.
Moe Dickstein said:
Witch and Uninvited should both be at the $30 tier with that level of extras.
Very true. Ministry of Fear, for instance, has the same amount of extras (one interview + booklet) yet was properly priced reasonably at $30. Yet these two are going full price? I don't get the rationale here unless these two are suppose to be that hot to the average consumer. You might be right that they're trying to take advantage of the B&N sales (among others) during that holiday season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Considering that probably every person who worked on The Uninvited is long dead, I'm actually glad that Criterion has almost no special features for it. Not that you can't get a good commentary from a historian but there's too many pretentious film school professor commentaries out there already. When you can't get a first hand account, I'm perfectly fine with letting the movie speak for itself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Moe Dickstein said:
No this is a pretty disappointing month, that's the consensus in the "Criterion following" community.Witch and Uninvited should both be at the $30 tier with that level of extras. You can't count Spy and Eyes because they are reissues from the days when they did a lot more with extras than they have been doing lately. Autumn Sonata is a substantial upgrade, but nothing new is being done with the Cassavettes set.Someone on the other forum said these releases were made for the November BN half off sale and I'd tend to agree.
I'm not part of the "Criterion following" community and they finally have two titles I will buy without waiting for the November BN sale.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Moe Dickstein said:
No this is a pretty disappointing month, that's the consensus in the "Criterion following" community.Witch and Uninvited should both be at the $30 tier with that level of extras. You can't count Spy and Eyes because they are reissues from the days when they did a lot more with extras than they have been doing lately. Autumn Sonata is a substantial upgrade, but nothing new is being done with the Cassavettes set.Someone on the other forum said these releases were made for the November BN half off sale and I'd tend to agree.
I agree about the $30 price point, but Eyes has something new for the blu ray. Plus, as far as new to Criterion titles, Badlands, Following, Heaven's Gate, On the Waterfront and Shoah (just off the top of my head) are hardly bare bones. I don't think this is a new "age" for Criterion. I think these two titles are still the exception, not the rule.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I don't hesitate to jump on a new Criterion release in between sales when it's a Must Have NOW kind of thing and especially when it's going to reward with some decent supplementary material. Recent examples are On the Waterfront, Repo Man, and certain titles being taken out of print with little or no notice. I spent a lot of money on Criterion this spring with only the 10% membership discount and one or two coupons to help soften the blow.

The titles in question now are certainly Must Haves -- God knows, we've been waiting for them for years! -- but like Moe stated above, given the lack of richness in extra features, AND the timing, they will damned well wait a month for the November sale -- no question, no problem. And again, with the recent examples of Jubal, etc., having been priced appropriately, the pricing on The Uninvited can be perceived as pure balls out arrogance on Criterion's part.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Charles Smith said:
I don't hesitate to jump on a new Criterion release in between sales when it's a Must Have NOW kind of thing and especially when it's going to reward with some decent supplementary material. Recent examples are On the Waterfront, Repo Man, and certain titles being taken out of print with little or no notice. I spent a lot of money on Criterion this spring with only the 10% membership discount and one or two coupons to help soften the blow.

The titles in question now are certainly Must Haves -- God knows, we've been waiting for them for years! -- but like Moe stated above, given the lack of richness in extra features, AND the timing, they will damned well wait a month for the November sale -- no question, no problem. And again, with the recent examples of Jubal, etc., having been priced appropriately, the pricing on The Uninvited can be perceived as pure balls out arrogance on Criterion's part.
I can understand not being happy with their price point, but I don't know how you make that leap to Criterion being arrogant.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Robert Crawford said:
I can understand not being happy with their price point, but I don't know how you make that leap to Criterion being arrogant.
I agree with you on this one.

They're only a buck or so more retail ($31.99 for Uninvited on Criterions website) than Twilight Time's pricing, and I'm regularly told that those Twilight Time prices and offerings are a blessing despite never having a chance of going on sale and being limited. Maybe Criterion is simply following the market that's been supported?

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
TravisR said:
Considering that probably every person who worked on The Uninvited is long dead, I'm actually glad that Criterion has almost no special features for it. Not that you can't get a good commentary from a historian but there's too many pretentious film school professor commentaries out there already. When you can't get a first hand account, I'm perfectly fine with letting the movie speak for itself.
For me, the 'film school professor' commentaries are usually the best.

Far better than a director and actor discussing whether they remembered that days shooting, and what was it they had for lunch?

The likes of Ian Christie and Christopher Frayling are among the best.

Steve W

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I understand the love of supplements, but for me the main thing is the film itself. And while I'd prefer $30 for these two titles, if Criterion wants to charge $40 for being the one to bring these great, much requested titles to disc for the first time, I say good for them. They should be rewarded for doing what no one else has done since the dvd came to be. As I said, I don't know anyone who pays full price for Criterions anyway, especially since the Barnes and Noble 50% sales have been around.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
JohnMor said:
I understand the love of supplements, but for me the main thing is the film itself. And while I'd prefer $30 for these two titles, if Criterion wants to charge $40 for being the one to bring these great, much requested titles to disc for the first time, I say good for them. They should be rewarded for doing what no one else has done since the dvd came to be. As I said, I don't know anyone who pays full price for Criterions anyway, especially since the Barnes and Noble 50% sales have been around.
that's just it. No one is going to pay $39 for these titles unless they order them from Amazon.ca, which is the only place I think online that sell Criterion's marked up from Suggested retail regardless of where our dollar is at (Devils Backbone is currently, no lie, $54.97 cdn on the site, which is why I order from B&N or Amazon.com or Criterion themselves) they'll be less on amazon.com probably around $27. Which is cheaper then the Twilight Time and in the ball park of Shout Factory.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
EddieLarkin said:
In the future, perhaps pricing debate should be left until closer to release date? The Uninvited and I Married a Witch are now $29.95
I had that feeling it was going to happen as initial press releases are wrong too many times.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well, YAAAYYY!!! to all of that! :)

I'm so glad to hear those prices got changed. And to be sure, IAMMMMW is one of those Must Have NOW titles -- no waiting on a sale there. Okay, if the sale was, say, a week off, I'll have to eat those words. But you know what I mean...

And now I'm off to grab Lord of the Flies and a few other older Criterions I've been wanting.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Ronald Epstein said:
...and next month at this time we will be celebrating the
announcement of IAMMMMW.
Is this one confirmed? I've not followed the thread that came out of our earlier speculation. Do I get a free copy for guessing the doodle first on the HTF? :biggrin:

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Ronald Epstein said:
...and next month at this time we will be celebrating the
announcement of IAMMMMW.
And that collection of award-winning surrealist Polish cartoons. ;)

Here's hoping. Not my cup of poison, but it's clearly a release which will bring a lot of joy to a lot of people.

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks