What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
David Lean has nothing to do with It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. But that cartoon in the Criterion newsletter is clearly a reference.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looks pretty obvious that it is MAD WORLD that Criterion will be releasing.

Don't know what else it could possibly be. Hope we are right.

Unfortunately, I would doubt that it's a proper restoration. However, it is
my hope that Criterion is going to put all the excised footage back into the
film so that it replicates the Special Edition Laserdisc.

I would presume fans of this film, who have been screaming for years for
a proper restoration, would be satisfied if all the extra footage were put back
in, warts and all, if there was not enough budget to do the work that we had
hoped would be done.

Maybe I am just speaking for myself, but we have all been wanting that
Roadshow version forever. This *could* be the next best thing and I am
awaiting to hear more information as to whether Criterion is actually releasing
this and what their plans may be.

....just want to hear some feedback from all of you so I can pass it on....

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For me, the laserdisc special edition, with all its trims and outtakes, kills the pacing of the film and makes an already overlong film seem endless. While I hope that Criterion restores the special edition footage for those who want it, I also hope that, barring a full restoration of the true 1963 theatrical roadshow version, Criterion also gives us the general release version with the police calls and all overture, intermission and exit music properly reinserted.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm on the floor with the idea they are doing some version of Mad.I would be happy with a nice theatrical version or whatever version was already on blu.In addition a second version with the extra scenes incorporated into the film.I have the laser and I know there are issues with the extra scenes on that added in but I still like it that way.Maybe a Brazil with three different versions on the set.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Think about this.

There could be no other reason for Criterion to want to release
MAD WORLD than to sell something "different" than what MGM
already has available.

Why would you pay for the same disc?For what I know, a full "correct" restoration has not been done.
So, again I am assuming, it could be the transfer that already
exists from MGM with the extra footage inserted.

...again, assuming, if this news is true at all.

I am very optimistic about this. Happy to hear thus far that you
guys want that extra footage back in. Yes, it does add to the
film's already lengthy running time, but perhaps different versions
on a single disc could be the remedy to that problem.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The MGM disc was missing either the overture or the entr'acte, as I recall. At a minimum, I would want this fixed, as well as the police calls added before the entr'acte. I'd buy the disc over again just for that fix and the usual Criterion bonus features and liner notes that I am sure we would get.

I would also love to see a full restoration of the roadshow version as seen in 1963, but I have little use for the "special edition" with all that footage that was never in the roadshow version. I recently saw this version projected at a friend's home theatre and was ready for things to start wrapping up before we even got to the intermission. Criterion, being the Lexus brand they are, should give it to us, but I'll never watch it.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
If true, what awesome news for my birthday today! Like a dream come true.

If anyone at Criterion is listening, please restore as much of the Roadshow version as is possible. Anyone who complains that the original release version is overlong can be happy with the MGM copy and leave the Criterion to the rest of us. There are many MAD WORLD devotees who want more, more, more, more and will gladly invest in this.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Rob_Ray said:
The MGM disc was missing either the overture or the entr'acte, as I recall. At a minimum, I would want this fixed, as well as the police calls added before the entr'acte. I'd buy the disc over again just for that fix and the usual Criterion bonus features and liner notes that I am sure we would get.

I would also love to see a full restoration of the roadshow version as seen in 1963, but I have little use for the "special edition" with all that footage that was never in the roadshow version. I recently saw this version projected at a friend's home theatre and was ready for things to start wrapping up before we even got to the intermission. Criterion, being the Lexus brand they are, should give it to us, but I'll never watch it.
Yes, ideally the roadshow release should be restored as much as possible with other extra footage as deleted scenes or possibly an alternate cut (preferably the former).

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Since Criterion is releasing IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD, does anyone now think that there may be something there re: the phantom cast & crew pages for other MGM films like THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN, and CARNAL KNOWLEDGE?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Derrick King said:
Since Criterion is releasing IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD,
(Now, y'see, here's where those folks who had to take Logic/Philosophy in freshman year get to show off that they know what "Begging the Question" really means...) :cool:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
As I noted in the 'Rumor' thread Robert Harris has not weighed in yet of the possibility of a new blu-ray restoration of IAMMMMW. His silence may 'mean' something...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Derrick King said:
Since Criterion is releasing IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD, does anyone now think that there may be something there re: the phantom cast & crew pages for other MGM films like THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN, and CARNAL KNOWLEDGE?
Can you be more specific about what this means to those of us who don't know what you mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks