What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
I'm flabbergasted. It was rumored for years and I've made written suggestions for ages that Criterion should obtain Seconds.
Now more people will be able to see Frankkenheimer's pinnacle. This is really his best work, a genuinely and truly unsettling experience that unfolds many many many layers of darkness even after the film is long over.
I'm drooling already. To think that for years no one ever knew what I was talking about when I brought up this film. Rock Hudson really, really nails it here. The cinematography is some of the best B&W I've ever seen.
And just maybe this might cause some remembrance of Frankenheimer.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
They apparently denied interest in Seconds for years. The OOP DVD goes for huge money so this should do well. I'm interested to see it. The Ray's look interesting too and thats really fast for them to get them out already, there are 3 films in the 2 releases so they're serious about launching into the large group they just licensed from India. Same thing with their huge pile of Fassbender and the Eclipse set.I'm always glad to have more Ophuls on Blu, though I just bought this one on DVD, so we'll have to see if the large booklet is staying intact before I sell that off. But the one that blows me away is To Be or Not To Be. I am a HUGE fan of both versions of this film, and to have a commentary on this is going to be great - but c'mon, is that not one of the most AMAZING covers ever? That is a candidate for best Criterion cover of all time.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
His 3 hour Godzilla/King of Monsters epic is his magnum opus. If you have not listened to it I implore you to do so.

Other stand outs include:

Sherlock Jr (Kino Blu-ray)
I've also heard his Street of Shame commentary (Kino Blu-ray) is good as well, though I haven't got around to it myself.

He also did commentaries for the 3 Fritz Lang Mabuse films for Masters of Cinema, the best of which is his Mabuse, der Spieler one. He makes the 4 and a half hours zip by.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
So glad for the fans of the new batch of films announced for August, but I'm even more glad that I'll be able to take a break since none of the titles are essential for me. Criterion has been breaking me lately! LOL.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
For sure, have heard both Godzillas and they're great! I've also heard whoever did Criterion's Testament/Mabuse disc but guess it wasn't him (I'll go look later lol). I'm not region-free so don't own any MoC and don't really plan to. I also have an irrational dislike of Kino and only own Metropolis because I had to. Guess that's why I haven't heard more of his? The other day I went on a Peter Cowie kick and listened to like 3 of his in a row, finally passed out in the middle of Fanny and Alex. John - if you haven't seen To Be or Not To Be, give it a shot - my god that amazing cover is worth the money alone to say nothing of what it encompaeses...

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Wow, i was just spot-checking my old DVD of SECONDS today and thinking that it really needs to be remastered. This is great news, and i will be happy to upgrade to Blu for this superb film. I wonder if Criterion will include the Frankenheimer audio commentary track.

Meanwhile, I'm still hoping that Criterion will release COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN one day.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
And, I presume that SECONDS will include the extra minute of nudity that was found in a European print.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Moe Dickstein said:
For sure, have heard both Godzillas and they're great! I've also heard whoever did Criterion's Testament/Mabuse disc but guess it wasn't him (I'll go look later lol). I'm not region-free so don't own any MoC and don't really plan to. I also have an irrational dislike of Kino and only own Metropolis because I had to. Guess that's why I haven't heard more of his? The other day I went on a Peter Cowie kick and listened to like 3 of his in a row, finally passed out in the middle of Fanny and Alex.
No, that was him as well on the Criterion Testament disc, an earlier version of his commentary. I've not heard it myself. He also did earlier commentaries for Spieler and 1000 Eyes (for Image and his own label respectively), but the MoC ones are the most recent and "complete". He did a dual commentary with Jonathan Rosenbaum for MoC's version of Metropolis (a much worthier release than the Kino!) too.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Moe Dickstein said:
John - if you haven't seen To Be or Not To Be, give it a shot - my god that amazing cover is worth the money alone to say nothing of what it encompaeses...
Moe, I do like To Be or Not To Be (and that cover is fantastic!), but I don't feel the urge to upgrade my dvd immediately. It is going on my wish list though for birthday and/or the holidays. It's too good not to upgrade at some point.
Jobla said:
Meanwhile, I'm still hoping that Criterion will release COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN one day.
Amen to that! Would love to get that on blu, or even dvd.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
No excitement for Satyajit Ray? THE BIG CITY and CHARULATA are my #2 and #10 movies of all time, and have never had a good R1 release. This is pretty much the best month ever.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Martin_Teller said:
No excitement for Satyajit Ray? THE BIG CITY and CHARULATA are my #2 and #10 movies of all time, and have never had a good R1 release. This is pretty much the best month ever.
I think the Ray that most were expecting to see was The Apu Trilogy, but still many months left in the year, holiday time box set maybe?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
New newsletter hit my email. so a new clue: Wacky Tuna:

wackytuna.jpg

I'm at a loss

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks