Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

So, this is most likely nothing, or maybe Criterion screwing with us, but they have an Explore > People > Sergio Leone page along with Explore > People > pages for a number of cast members from THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY (just change the last digit of the url of the Leone page)

2. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    over on the .org forum they discovered this a while ago, and so I think that Criterion is putting in a lot of BS there to disguise what is actually coming.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I'd be okay with a Criterion boxset of Leone. the Man With No Name trilogy blurays I got are no great shakes, I'd happily upgrade

4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    I was hoping for a Criterion of the Film Foundation's Once Upon a Time in the West restoration until that turned into something of an overhyped joke.

5. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Now they are posting names of people from TV movies, I think the gig is up....

6. Derrick King

Maybe this was/is this year's April's Fools joke, but it got discovered 24 days late. Weird.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Do Criterion have the rights to Red River and what are the chances of past DVD releases making it to blu ray on their label, i'm thinking of films like The Silence Of The Lambs, RoboCop and Spartacus.

8. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    CC licenses with Universal and the MGM/Orion titles are out with Fox who they also work with so all are theoretically possible.

9. Derrick King

Rumor is that they have RED RIVER. As for SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, at the Wexner Center talk last year they said that they had the opportunity to re-license it but they passed (I hope that they'll reconsider, because there is room for improvement over the current Blu-ray.)

Since the SPARTACUS DVD is still in print, I think that there is a chance that they'll release it on Blu-ray

10. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I find it interesting that they wouldn't try to get a spine back into print when they had the chance.

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I was thinking that too. My guess is this title, despite the quality of the movie, has been kicking around the cheap bins for so long on top of being exploited to the point of being a joke that selling it at the price point Criterion typically has wouldn't make it feasible at this time. Even with the TV show currently airing.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course, and would happily buy it from Criterion, along with the sequels ha ha

12. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    well honestly, I have the OOP DVD, and I'm sort of glad at one less thing to re-buy lol.I would gladly see them get the Warhol's back - Image owns them now so no reason they can't get them, and then we could finally get the 3-D version of Flesh on Blu!

13. Derrick King

I believe that Image's rights to FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN and BLOOD FOR DRACULA have expired. Cliff Mac mentioned, I think, on the Blu-ray forums that he tried to get them for Shout Factory, but couldn't. Both films are with Westchester Films, so there is a good chance that Criterion can/has reacquired them.

14. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I too think there is room to better the current blu ray of The Silence Of The Lambs, i'd like to see more of the film grain retained and i'd like to listen to the commentary track that Criterion has the rights to and which was not on the current MGM edition, Spartacus in particular needs re-visiting as the Universal release is a travesty, how they can treat one of their prized films like that is beyond me.

15. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    I'd be extremely happy with Criterion blu-rays of Flesh For Frankenstein & Blood For Dracula, and would buy them instantly.

I've always wanted to see a 3D version of Flesh. It played at the British Film Institute back in 2004, but I found out about it too late unfortunately.

(Still holding out for Scanners too, but the UK set is looking increasingly tempting...)

16. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    You can bet anything CC Scanners is imminent based on the NY clues, barring problems but I think if it's been released overseas that should negate that issue. I mean, even Babette's Feast got scheduled with all those legal questions.I'd be interested to know what's happened to some of the stuff that got clued but still hasn't shown up, like Y Tu Mama and the Weir films...

17. Derrick King

Pretty sure that Y Tu Mamá También is tied up waiting for Alfonso Cuarón's input/approval.

18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    New newsletter means new clue. Called "Wacky Wedding.Jpeg"

[​IMG]

I have no idea. It's not Heartbeeps I don't think.

19. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Could it be Rene Clair's "I Married a Witch"?It's up on Hulu

20. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    They're teaming up with Disney, to do a double-feature of Monsters University and Oz: the Great & Powerful! :P
    (With uncredited script by Preston Sturges.)