What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Mike Frezon said:
And there's the confirmation (of what we already knew would likely be the case) that TLE's aspect ration on the Criterion BD is 2:1. :frowning:
:thumbsdown:
First piece of info I went searching for... Not a surprise, more of a disappointment.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Oh, I'm definitely picking up 'The Third Man.' What supplements were trimmed?

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Did I miss something on the Criterion site, or is the extended cut of The Last Emperor not making it to the Blu-ray?

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn.F said:
Did I miss something on the Criterion site, or is the extended cut of The Last Emperor not making it to the Blu-ray?
Looks like it's the "single disc" release that I thought they announced for DVD as well but apparently never materialized. You'll notice it's also $20 cheaper than the DVD box.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Shawn.F said:
My guess is that the extended cut was not in good enough shape for HD. The transfer of it was quite inferior to the theatrical (and director preferred) version on the SD set.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The Third Man is the only title I'm interested in picking up from this batch so I'm glad to see it official.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I never got the SD version of Man Who Fell to Earth (already had 2 AB DVD versions plus the Criterion LD with most of these supplements), but am a bit disappointed that the BD doesn't include the book from the SD version, unless that is an oversight in the listing. Not sure if it's missing anything else.
I still haven't gone HD and seeing upcoming or existing titles without at least the same feature set as the SD versions isn't compelling me to upgrade anytime soon - not only on Criterion titles, but others as well.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m of two minds on this myself Jeff. For titles that I already have in SD, I want the barebones HD version and for (especially Criterion) the ones that I don’t own, I want the whole enchilada.
I expect that Criterion is keeping the cost down by not duplicating what many of their fanatical customers already possess.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Lew Crippen said:
I expect that Criterion is keeping the cost down by not duplicating what many of their fanatical customers already possess.
I'm sure this is the case, but I would also suspect that many people would prefer to replace their SD versions if they own them, rather than having to hang onto them for the missing pieces, and new buyers aren't going to be happy with buying an inferior version (features wise) on BD.
So far the only two of these new Criterions that would have been of interest fall into this dropped features category.
I wonder if they have corrected the commentary on Walkabout, which is another BD title I wouldn't mind getting.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Specs...
Blu-ray.com - Release Dates & Specs for First Wave of Criterion Blu-ray Discs
"The Criterion Collection has posted details for their first five Blu-ray Disc titles. 'The Third Man' and 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' are set for release on November 18th, while three more titles - 'Bottle Rocket,' 'Chungking Express,' and the critically acclaimed 'The Last Emperor' - arrive one week later on the 25th. The films will be presented in their original (or director approved) aspect ratios in new high definition digital transfers, featuring lossless audio mixes. Each title will also contain a wealth of extra features.
'The Third Man' (1949) will featured a restored high definition transfer in 1.37:1, and an uncompressed mono soundtrack. Extra features include:
Video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich
Two audio commentaries: one by filmmaker Steven Soderbergh and screenwriter Tony Gilroy, and one by by film scholar Dana Polan
Shadowing "The Third Man" (2005), a ninety-minute feature documentary on the making of the film
Abridged recording of Graham Greene's treatment, read by actor Richard Clarke
"Graham Greene: The Hunted Man," an hour-long, 1968 episode of the BBC's Omnibus series, featuring a rare interview with the novelist
"Who Was the Third Man? (2000)," a thirty-minute Austrian documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew
The Third Man on the radio: the 1951 "A Ticket to Tangiers" episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles, and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man
Illustrated production history with rare behind-the-scenes photos, original UK press book, and U.S. trailer
Actor Joseph Cotten's alternate opening voice-over narration for the U.S. version
Archival footage of postwar Vienna
A look at the untranslated foreign dialogue in the film
A booklet featuring an essay by Luc Sante
'The Man Who Fell to Earth' (1976) will feature a high definition digital transfer approved by director Nicolas Roeg, and an uncompressed stereo soundtrack. Extra features include:
Audio commentary by Roeg and actors David Bowie and Buck Henry
New video interview with screenwriter Paul Mayersberg Performance, video interviews with actors Candy Clark and Rip Torn
Audio interviews with costume designer May Routh and production designer Brian Eatwell
Audio interview from 1984 with author Walter Tevis, conducted by Don Swaim
Multiple stills galleries, including Routh's costume sketches; behind-the-scenes photos; and production and publicity stills, introduced by set photographer David James
Gallery of posters from Roeg's films
Trailers
Booklet featuring an essay by critic Graham Fuller
'The Last Emperor' (1987) features a high definition digital transfer approved by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, and a stereo track in DTS-HD Master Audio. Extras include:
Audio commentary by director Bernardo Bertolucci, producer Jeremy Thomas, screenwriter Mark Peploe, and composer-actor Ryuichi Sakamoto
The Italian Traveler: Bernardo Bertolucci, a 53-minute film by Fernand Mozskowicz, tracing the director's geographic influences, from Parma to China
Video images taken by Bertolucci in China
The Chinese Adventure of Bernardo Bertolucci, a 52-minute documentary that revisits the film's creation
A 47-minute documentary featuring Storaro, editor Gabriella Cristiana, costume designer James Acheson, and art director Gianni Silvestri
A 66-minute documentary exploring Bertolucci's creative process and the making of The Last Emperor
A 30-minute interview with Bertolucci from 1989
A new interview with composer David Byrne
A new interview with Ian Buruma examining the historical period of the film
Theatrical trailer
Booklet featuring an essay by critic David Thomson
'Chungking Express' (1994) features a restored high-definition digital transfer, as well as a remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack supervised by director Wong Kar-wai. Extras include:
Audio commentary by noted Asian cinema critic Tony Rayns
U.S. theatrical trailer
New and improved English subtitle translation
Booklet featuring a new essay by critic Amy Taubin and excerpts from a 1996 Sight and Sound interview with Wong by Rayns
'Bottle Rocket' (1996) features a new, restored transfer supervised by direct Wes Anderson and a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. Extras include:
Commentary by director/co-writer Anderson and co-writer/actor Owen Wilson
The Making of "Bottle Rocket": an original documentary by filmmaker Barry Braverman featuring Anderson, James L. Brooks, James Caan, Temple Nash Jr., Kumar Pallana, Polly Platt, Mark Mothersbaugh, Robert Musgrave, Richard Sakai, David and Sandy Wasco, Andrew and Luke and Owen Wilson, and Robert Yeoman
The original thirteen-minute black-and-white Bottle Rocket short film from 1992
Eleven deleted scenes
Anamorphic screen test, storyboards, location photos, and behind-the-scenes photographs by Laura Wilson
Murita Cycles, a 1978 short film by Braverman
The Shafrazi Lectures, no. 1: Bottle Rocket
Booklet featuring an essay by executive producer James L. Brooks, an appreciation by Martin Scorsese, and original artwork by Ian Dingman"

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Excellent! All the way down to the booklet, it doesn't seem that there's anything missing from The Third Man.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
According to a poster at Blu-ray.com all 5 are lossless. The Nov 18 releases are both PCM, and the Nov 25 releases are all DTS-HD:MA 5.1.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Mike Frezon said:
And there's the confirmation (of what we already knew would likely be the case) that TLE's aspect ration on the Criterion BD is 2:1. :frowning:
:thumbsdown:
Ironic that various reviews (of the DVD set) posted on the TLE product page on Criterion's site tout the restoration of the great cinematography despite the picture being MAR. :rolleyes
_Man_

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
From Criterion's Blu-ray e-mail sent out today:
Criterion's Blu-ray editions will generally be priced to match our DVDs. It makes sense to us: High-definition mastering and restoration has been a part of our DVD production standard for years. And for our customers who might be on the fence about whether to buy DVD or Blu-ray, we thought the best thing we could do was take price out of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks