What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Mayo Westerns = Hellman's Mayo Westerns = Monte Hellman Westerns = Ride in the Whirlwind (1965) / The Shooting (1966)

These have been known to be in the works for a while.

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
From M. Hellman's Facebook page.
INCREDIBLE INTERVIEW TODAY WITH MILLIE PERKINS
The continuation of our shooting extras for the Criterion 4K Re-masters of THE SHOOTING and RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND. Millie has no more axes to grind, if she ever did, and she shoots straight from the hip and tells it like it is. No holds barred, nothing to hide, tell the truth and shame the devil. There are some who'll want equal time for their rebuttals!
https://www.facebook.com/monte.hellman/posts/10203053137823895

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Russell G said:
EXACTLY! Obviously some of us don't have the time to research every movie title that comes along that we haven't heard of. I've never heard of "Love Streams", and despite peoples excitement for it, I don't plan on watching it anytime soon since I'm yet to watch Cassevettes stuff since it sounds like the type of films that don't excite me (annoy/bore me), and I have 100's of other things to watch. It doesn't make anyone better or worse, it's just how we are as people.

And it doesn't mean someone loves or respects film more than the other person either. If we didn't like movies, NONE of us would be here.
Cassavetes is mainly interesting for the excellent performances in his films and the tremendous influence he had on Scorsese and other filmmakers. But Cassavettes loathed the editing process, so in his later films, scenes just seem egregiously long and repetitive as actors riff and improv their way through the material in high histrionic form--it'd be called camp or soap if he wasn't so revered as an auteur and artiste. The last film of his in Criterion's set, Opening Night, is the only bad Cassavetes film I've seen. So even with his excessive contempt for the art and craft of editing, the dialogue, performances and stories are often top notch.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Brandon Conway said:
Mayo Westerns = Hellman's Mayo Westerns = Monte Hellman Westerns = Ride in the Whirlwind (1965) / The Shooting (1966)

So, no "China 9, Liberty 37", then?

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
EXACTLY! Obviously some of us don't have the time to research every movie title that comes along that we haven't heard of.

A quick Google search or an IMDb visit sure sounds as exhausting and time-consuming as some scientific research for a master's degree...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Me, too! The Costco here in Wilsonville had it along with the following for $19.99:

[*]Dazed and Confused
[*]Harold & Maude,
[*]The Man Who Knew Too Much,
[*]The Lady Vanishes
[*]The Life Aquatic...,
[*]The Fantastic Mr. Fox,
[*]The Great Dictator,
[*]Seven Samurai,
[*]Charade
[*]Rushmore,
[*]The Royal Tannebaums, and I think others.
[/list]
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was the "OMG, must buy NOW!" title.
Mark Booth said:
Picked up IAMMMMW Criterion at Costco today! $19.99!

Mark

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Brandon Conway said:

Yeah, but how do we know it's Hellman's and not Kraft???? ;)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We just finished watching the theatrical cut of IAMMMMW. Believe it or not, until tonight, I'd never seen the entire movie from beginning to end. I'd caught bits and pieces of it on TV over the years, but never sat down for the whole thing.

Just like my post in the McLintock topic (contest to win copy of McLintock), IAMMMMW was filled with memories of places I've visited. The opening scenes were shot on Highway 74 south of Palm Desert, CA. Anyone who's watched the movie will recognize this point of view above the road:

i-mHqcCXG-X2.jpg

I shot that image just a couple of months ago.

Mark

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Ejanss said:
So, no "China 9, Liberty 37", then?
I believe Warner Brothers owns China 9, Liberty 37, so almost no chance of Criterion releasing that.
Mark Walker said:
Me, too! The Costco here in Wilsonville had it along with the following for $19.99:

[*]Dazed and Confused
[*]Harold & Maude,
[*]The Man Who Knew Too Much,
[*]The Lady Vanishes
[*]The Life Aquatic...,
[*]The Fantastic Mr. Fox,
[*]The Great Dictator,
[*]Seven Samurai,
[*]Charade
[*]Rushmore,
[*]The Royal Tannebaums, and I think others.
[/list]
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was the "OMG, must buy NOW!" title.
Seven Samurai is a steal at $20. In addition to being a great film at a great discount, it has a $50 MSRP, it is one of Criterion's best special editions.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yep! I picked up Seven Samurai as well.
Derrick King said:
I believe Warner Brothers owns China 9, Liberty 37, so almost no chance of Criterion releasing that.

Seven Samurai is a steal at $20. In addition to being a great film at a great discount, it has a $50 MSRP, it is one of Criterion's best special editions.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
On the Waterfront also has a $50 MSRP and I think has been reported as being one of the titles showing up at Costco. So, it too, is a great deal at $19.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks