What's new

CRITERION BLU-RAY SALE Begins Tuesday, July 5, and will continue all month. (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is from a source who knows... And, of course, Criterion DVD's are also included. Time to catch up!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Dick. There has been a lot of news concerning this sale posted in another thread -- I believe the Criterion thread.

What I would like to know definitively, is what other coupon codes can be used in conjunction with this sale.

Reading the Criterion thread it's hard to figure it out as the status of the coupons change almost daily. Since the sale starts Tuesday, I think we would all like to be properly prepared.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The problem with the new coupons are I'm not sure B&N really knows what it wants to do with the new style codes. In the past pretty much they only had 15% and occ 20% single item
codes for online along with a few "$10 off 75" type codes. I've seen coupons they just never allow to go active, but in 7-8 years I've never seen these pre-release type
coupons be edited at the last minute. Of course, even though they're on the open webpages (not internal webpages or protected pages) it's not like most people are see these pre-release codes anyway. They're not hidden, but you have to look for them specifically to find them. I do apologize for any confusion I inadvertently introduced by the
sneak previews assuming the the upcoming codes would work like those a couple weeks ago.

The type they introduced in the 40% sale with the higher percentage full cart codes was a first attempt for them and I'm not sure their IT folks realized exactly how unique they were.
They're maybe starting to fine tune things possibly to function how they expected rather than how they functioned in real life. Or maybe they were a lot more popular than expected
so they have to dial back a bit.

It appears they castrated the 24% code by changing it to single item and excluding movies at the last instant and they've already changed the next tiered purchase coupon.
I think the 20% whole cart code that is supposed to active July 7 will be the most critical code to see how it works. Even a 20% online code brings items down to the price point ($16) just a little higher than members can get instore with the easily obtained in-store 15% codes ($15.30ea) . At 24/25% off that makes online orders without membership cheaper than what members can get instore with anything less than a full 20% which may not be in their best interest for selling memberships. That was one of the reasons I was shocked to see even the hint of anything above 20%.

If they highly restrict that coupon it means we're probably back to where we've always been as far as online orders with 15 and 20% single item codes unless of course they revert to 2013 and completely block online codes.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yes, 50% off. If you have received "20% off one item" coupons in the mail (they usually come in pairs) and they are still valid, as mine are, you can use them on top of your 50% off. When you figure in tax (if applicable), you can get at least one or two Blu-rays for about 65% off list. AND if you have a B&N membership, that's an additional 10% off. I have done this a number of times. The guys at the counter don't care, as long as everything scans properly. It's a yearly steal -- take advantage!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is it 50% off?

50% off SRP (not current prices) online and instore for items released prior to the end of the sale,

Yes, 50% off. If you have received "20% off one item" coupons in the mail (they usually come in pairs) and they are still valid, as mine are, you can use them on top of your 50% off. When you figure in tax (if applicable), you can get at least one or two Blu-rays for about 65% off list. AND if you have a B&N membership, that's an additional 10% off. I have done this a number of times. The guys at the counter don't care, as long as everything scans properly. It's a yearly steal -- take advantage!

Well the 65% off already includes the membership discount esp since those 20% codes are member only.

I will temper the "guys at the counter don't care" b/c that depends on your store and sometimes which guy you run into even at the same store. There are some well known high profile stores that are known to be coupon busters and refuse to even scan the coupons on 50% sale items (a couple NYC stores and LA stores are routinely reported as avoid at all costs).

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great. Thanks guys. Bunch of Criterion titles I wanna get

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sale should start sometime over the next hour or two online -- it's always a bit unpredictable how fast the prices update and on a Holiday it could even be a bit more uneven than normal so don't panic if things get off slowly. I've updated the possible extra discount codes in the deals section thread

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Sale should start sometime over the next hour or two online -- it's always a bit unpredictable how fast the prices update and on a Holiday it could even be a bit more uneven than normal so don't panic if things get off slowly. I've updated the possible extra discount codes in the deals section thread

The Banner Ad is up now! Clicking on the banner ad only five items were coming up only 3 were at 50% off. Clicking on Movies & TV then the Criterion Collection brings a list and most appear to be 50% off

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/criterion-collection/_/N-1p0iZ1f?Ns=P_Sales_Rank

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was finally able to place my order with the discounts.

Additionally, I was able to use the BNJUNE50 coupon before it expired tonight.

5 titles for $96.50. That includes taxes and free Express Shipping, which I suppose I qualified for since I am a B&N member.

Phew! Glad that is done.

Ordered:

Stagecoach
The Seventh Seal
In a Lonely Place
Kiss Me Deadly
Dr. Strangelove

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Thanks to the 20% off single item code and a $17 e-book settlement thing, I got Gilda and In a Lonely Place for $21.54. I'll take it!

Will place a larger order on July 7 if the 20% off entire order code works. Crossing fingers...

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Will be visiting a store later today armed with two mailed 20% coupons (plus the instore 10% discount). Have already 'reserved' several titles.

Are any of the planned coupons/discounts useable in stores?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
7/14 (Thurs through end of Sunday coupon) is the first I can see in the preliminary store coupons which follows their normal every 2 week pattern. I havent seen anything for 7/28, but I'd say pretty good chance.

After you use the 20% in store, can you check it online as well to see if it still works? That where a few of the last 20% codes have come from since apparently they aren't recording
as single use (nor member only codes nor limited to only one person). If they seem reusable you could post them here or the Deal thread

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
I ordered The Kid. Wasn't sure of anything else I wanted so I got Only Angels Have Wings as a blind buy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I ordered The Kid. Wasn't sure of anything else I wanted so I got Only Angels Have Wings as a blind buy.

Seems like everyone loves "Only Angels Have Wings."

I think I will purchase that before the sale is over. I am going to Costco tomorrow. If they have it there (they did a month ago) I will pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks