What's new

Cripes! Yahoo Baseball Leagues (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Oh, its on,,,,its on. Actually, I cant speak as I didn't even make the playoffs last year.:b

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

Peter, we did straight Roto the first year, but by the all star break, half the teams had given up because they were all but out of it. Head to head keeps more people interested for a longer period of time.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
How easy or difficult are these leagues to figure out for for those who have never been in one? , I have never been in any kind of fantasy league, but they always sound like a lot of fun.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Brian,
I think that the hardest part of fantasy sports is the live draft, but it is also the best part. I may be in the minority, but I love the draft. My heart actually starts pounding right before it starts as I cant hide my enthusiasm. But as always, right after the draft is over and Im looking at my team i've assembled I always think "what went wrong?".
As far as playing the season out, its not that hard at all, just a matter of setting your lineups, which you can do weeks at a time if you don't want to micro-manage the whole thing too much.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
The draft is by far the most important and the most fun aspect of the game. After that it's keeping up with your lineup, like Philip said. But I'd say the 2nd most important aspect of the game is keeping an eye on the available players list. Filling in week spots on your team. You can pick up a sleeper who may soon be the best player on your team. Trades are also very important, but they're much tougher to pull off, than mearly picking somebody up. It's easy to learn... and you'll soon be a fantasy sports junkie like the rest of us.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Brian, like Nike says...just do it. It's a blast. The only time it's not is when you are playing a fantasy sport about something you really couldn't care less about. For example, I am not a big NBA fan, but was convinced that I should get into a NBA fantasy league. Big mistake. I was never very good at recognizing who was emerging and who wasn't and I was killed by injuries. I don't watch many NBA games and it never really held my attention. However, I big fan of the other three major sports so I typically do well in fantasy leagues for those sports. It's pretty much dependant on your interest level. If you are a fan of MLB, you will do well in fantasy baseball.

Jon.M

Stunt Coordinator
My draft is scheduled for tonight, but I'm going to miss it. What do I have to do to reschedule? Move to another league?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you mean you have another league that you're running (as Commish), you should be able to reschedule the draft (from previous exp w/ Yahoo). However, you should make sure it's ok w/ other team owners first though.

If you simply can't avoid missing the draft, you can pre-rank players for the auto-draft mechanism. Not nearly as good as doing the live draft yourself, but it's probably better than leaving it completely upto the default rankings.

_Man_

Jon.M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not actually running a league. It's a public one. I don't want to do an auto-draft, so I guess I'll just look to join a different league.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

Well I was a day late in trying to join, so fuck it. I'm starting a new league. Hopefuly as baseball season gets closer, there will be enough interest to fill the 15 slots.

It is a points league. I have selected the maximum of 15 point catergories for both pitching and batting positions, this includes points for fielding and minus points for errors.

The Live Draft will be on Mon Mar 22 11:00pm EST.

If interesed, just send me a PM (here at the HTF) and I will get back to you with the information needed.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm interested in points league. How are you doing the points?

Last year, I tried starting a points league midseason based on the X-Runs formula (extrapolated runs), which is similar to Bill James' idea of Runs Created, but is linear. For pitching, I basically used pitching runs formula w/ slight mods to give credit for wins, losses, saves, etc.

You can find out more about X-Runs here:

http://www.baseballstuff.com/fraser/gloss.html

If people are interested, I could try starting it again this year. I know of at least a couple others who would be interested.

_Man_

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

Well it's nothing as complex as what you have in that link. This is a free Yahoo league. The point scoring will probably be retuned before the season starts. It's basically adding and subtracting points. Once we have a decent number of teams signed on, we will go over the points to try and get a more realistic idea of what each stat category should be worth in relation to the other categories. Right now the points assigned per area are just my best guesses as to what they should be worth.

I'm still figuring some of this out for myself.

Batting & Fielding Run (3), Single (2), Double (3), Triple (5), HR (10), RBI (3), Stolen Base (3), Caught Stealing (-2), Walk (1), Intentional walk (3), K (-2), GIDP (-4), Put Out (1), Assist (1), Error (-5),

Pitching IP (1.5), Win (10), Loss (-4), Complete Game (12), Shutout (25), Save (5), OUT (1), ER (-1), HR allowed (-3), Walk (-1), Hit Bitter (-3), K (3), Wild pitch (-1), Stolen Base allowed(-1), Ground Ball Double Play (5)

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
Damn, too late to the party.
I'm the defending champ from last year (Sewerrats)

If anybody backs out of the league, please email me ASAP. As the defending champ I would think I get first dibs to get back in to defend my crown ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks