What's new

Crime Story worth picking up? (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
Deep Discount DVD has this included as part of their "buy one set, get another free" deal. i've read a couple of past threads dealing ith the music replacement, picture quality, etc. is there anything about this set worth replacing my taped episodes for?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
How couldn't the picture quality of these major release DVDs not be great? I wonder if Deep Discount DVD would let you buy the 1st season of Crime Story to get the 2nd season for free?

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt

Yes. Colors are nice & rich and there's a pretty good history of the show included in the paper insert. The B1G1 is a good deal.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I just completed watching the Crime Story series and it is very worthwhile to those who like the sopranos and michael mann's work. I like Dennis Farina as an actor and he was very good in this series. I also like him as Lombard in Miami Vice.

So, if you like crime/mafia dramas then this show is keeper. I would recommend this series to anyone.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
I rented Season 1 and loved every minute of it. I'm working through other shows before I get to Season 2, but I echo younger1968's comments. Farina is awesome, as is Bill Smitrovich as his #2 man and Tony Dennison as Ray Luca.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I personally have a lot of fun with the first season of this show. Things really go downhill in the 2nd season, but the first season, particularly the back half of the Chicago run and the Las Vegas episodes, has a wonderful period feel to it, and a great sense of menace and character.

I've read the online debates about the music and editing, but from what I can tell, and from my memory of the eps (including tapes I have of the original airings of several of them), the music appears to me to be completely accurate. I heard one account that eps 2 through 6 of the first season have the wrong music, but I very clearly remember the song used for the teaser of ep 2 "Final Transmission" and the DVD has that song on it.

I did notice a difference in the actual editing of an episode - "Old Friends, Bad Ends" seems to have a different teaser than what I have on tape from NBC in 1986. There's a gag where Ray Luca is trying to intimidate a Union honcho that shows up in that teaser in the NBC airing, but actually comes from the body of the prior episode "Pursuit of a Wanted Felon", as shown on the DVD and in the credits. What I think happened is that NBC may have aired a slightly different edit of some episodes, but that what is on the DVD set is in the correct order and arrangement.

Once you get to Season 2, it's a different story altogether.

If I have a complaint, it's that none of the episodes HAVE ANY CHAPTERS! You hit "Next Chapter" on your remote, and you're knocked back to the main menu!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I decided to start watching Crime Story again after watching Rich Man, Poor Man. I am fascinated with the late 1950s and 1960s era and shows like Crime Story touch on the 1960s. It is good start after watching Rich Man, Poor Man.

Dennis Farina is amazing in Crime Story. I was introduced to Dennis Farina when he was on a few episodes of Miami Vice. Stephen Lang also is amazing as the lawyer in the show. The supporting cast is very good, especially the first season when you get to see a young David Caruso.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i also enjoyed crime story but the dvd release left something to be desired. The transfers could have been better IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks