What's new

creating new HT setup, need help! (1 Viewer)

Lumen_S

Auditioning
I am new to the forum, and have been lurking for about 2 weeks, but I decided to post because I need some help:

I want to put together a new HT setup for my apartment next year. I am a college student, and poor, but sound in both music and movies is very important to me. I listen to alot of music as well as watching movies, so a balanced system is important to me. As I said, budget plays a big part in my decision, but I also want to make sure I get a nice system.

I have heard good things about the Axiom M80ti's. Although these are seriously stretching my cash flow at $1100 a pair, if they are really as nice as people say, perhaps it is worth it.

I currently have a RCA "pro series" receiver at home that I purchased in 2001. I am not sure of the exact model, but it is a 100watt/5ch model. An upgrade seems as if it might be necessary. Any suggestions?

For surrounds I was looking at Axioms or Klipsch's. Once again, any suggestions?

I probably wouldnt get a sub, because I will be on the top floor of a 3 floor building, and I dont I dont want complaints from ALL my neighbors. However, I was looking at the Sony SAWM40 for $130, which seemed a good deal.

For a DVD player, I was thinking: Sony 5-Disc Progressive-Scan DVD Changer Model: DVP-NC655P

As I said, budget is a serious concern, but I am very interested in getting a NICE system that will last me a few years down the road.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Lumen

Jason GT

Second Unit
First off, take stock of what you've got:

All you mention is a receiver. Which formats does it support? I'd say if it does DD you're probably good to go. Guessing by the date it probably even supports DTS. If it does, so much the better.

Though you can probably upgrade the receiver (a concept that a lot of people here seem fond of :) ), you can probably scrimp on it a bit.

What do you have for speakers, display and source? This should really influence what other equipment you pick up.

For instance, if you have an older set of bookshelves, crappy or not, you might be better off reusing them as surrounds and either pocketing the money you save from not buying new surrounds, or else plowing the cash into a nicer set of front speakers.

Do you need progressive scan? Better yet, will you be able to use it?

Subwoofer: If you're running it at levels which will piss off your neighbors, it probably won't matter if they're above you, beside you, or below you. Bass has this nasty habit of travelling. OTOH, if you listen at moderate levels you might just be able to get away with it.

Finally, you mention that you'd like your system to last: common wisdom generally says that of all parts of a system, the speakers will last the longest. Therefore, maybe those $ 1000 Axioms (if you like how they sound, of course) might not be such a bad idea after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks