What's new

Crazy for wanting a VCR? (1 Viewer)

Brian^E

Grip
We have a terrible old Samsung VCR hooked up to my HT system (I cringe every time I look at it). My wife tapes tons of evening shows.

I need to replace that thing. I really don't think I want to get into Tivo yet and be locked into monthly fees (or the $299 fee).

I guess I need to get a new VCR - but hardly anyone seems to make them anymore. One good bet seems to be the Sony SLV-N900 (4 heads, HiFi, VCR Plus)

Am I missing something? Does anyone know any other options or better players?

I am not sure if you are hooked up by cable or sat. If you dont have a sat hookup yet, and you can, invest the money, your picture quality will be greatly improved. DirectTivo monthly fees are only $5 instead of the 12.99 for regular Tivo and worth every penny. After a few weeks with it, you will not be able to live without it, it is that good.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
We tape a lot of evening shows. If you’re not ready to go Tivo, get a Super VHS VCR. S-VHS machines have double the resolution of regular VCRs and come close to DVD’s in picture quality. JVC is one of the few companies making them anymore; stick with their top-of-the-line machines. It’s not hard to find them at steep discounts on eBay or via mail order. The bottom-of-the-line models are not much better than regular VHS, so you want to avoid them.

The only downside is a good one is going to cost you as much as that Tivo fee.

In addition to the VCR, you’ll have to invest in some S-VHS tapes, as many as needed to keep up with your taping demands. They cost more than regular tapes, but they’ll last a couple of years of heavy taping.

We only tape at the SP speed. After all, if you’re getting S-VHS, you’re doing it for the picture quality, so it’s defeatist to take a step backwards and use EP.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I still happily use a VCR. Trade tapes with a buddy of mine who gets a different set of channels than I do. TiVo and DVRs are cool, but no way to lend recordings to anyone else.

I'd be careful about Sony though. They had one model the NV51 or something that wasn't made by them, outsourced, and it got horrible reviews for reliability and quality. Check out the reviews either on www.consumerreview.com or www.audioreview.com .

I got a Panasonic for my wife a few years ago, that even though it's cheaply built (like all VCRs seem to be these days), we haven't had any problems with it. I have a 20 year old Quasar that I just got overhauled by one of those mom and pop TV/VCR repair places because it's better built than anything made today. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Unless one gets a DVR that's also a DVD recorder (e.g., the Panasonic E80). Lots of discussion of these in the PVR and DVD Recorder area.

M.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Brian, I don't know how old your Samsung VCR is but the picture might be better on it than new VCR's believe it or not. So I would either go with a good JVC S-VHS VCR or stick with the Samsung until you buy a DVD Recorder. I've seen the Samsung DVD Recorder R4000 (A Panasonic Clone)for as low as $248.88

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes new lowcost DVD recorders are an alternative to VCRs and Tivos and you can play back the recorded DVDs on many regular DVD players for sharing programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks