What's new

Crash (2005): 2-Disc Director's Cut - 04/04 (1 Viewer)

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
If they cut the right eleven minutes out of this thing, it might actually be a good movie.

But probably not.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I think Haggis should make another cut of his movie, and sell it as "the Brokeback edition" after the real best movie of the year :thumbsdown:

Pd. Sorry, I had to say it.

Juan C

Second Unit

Huh? Paul Haggis moved to LA 30 years ago and lives in Santa Monica.

(edit - Robert came ahead of me by a couple minutes!)

I hadn't read such vitriol directed at a BP winner since Shakespeare in Love. :thumbsdown:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hmmm? I never got an "except us" vibe from the film. It may be a plea for tolerance, but it also makes the case that everyone has their prejudices - even about other people's prejudices. In any case, a new SE with a better transfer seems like a good idea. A new cut of the film seems unnecessary.

Regards,

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Some of the best Canadians are my friends.

My comment re: Mr. Haggis, which outside of the concept of his film, might have enabled a smiley face, seemed much more appropirate without one in terms of Crash.

I suspect that he probably entered the country legally, but with a contraband Mountie uniform in the trunk of his car.

RAH

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Except who exactly? Every character was prejudiced in some way, and that was the point of the film. But it also showed that redemption is possible, and that was also its point.

A little too heavy handed for my taste. I think he could have used just a tad bit of subtley. There were a few scenes that resonated with me but, unfortunately there were more that were laughably bad. Example- the scene with Bullock after she has the locks changed in her house. If she was so scared that the locksmith would keep a copy of the keys and come back rob them - why would she say that within ear shot of the guy. Makes no sense. Way too may coinsidences and just too cliched'. I guess that syle of directing and story telling is just not my taste. I like films that challenge me and allow me to think as oppose to hammering me over the head with it's point. I kept saying over and over "I get it, I get" can just move along. Plus I think this film came out ten years too late. Would have had more of an impact if it would have come out shortly after Rodney King. Just a little dated and way too pat and cliche for me. Carry on.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought Crash was entertaining but too heavy-handed. Maybe it's a Haggis thing, as I thought Million Dollar Baby had the same problem. I knew I was in trouble with the movie's first lines:

"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."

:rolleyes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Crash was entertaining (but not worth of any Oscars, although I'm glad it beat out Cowboys in Heat). The racial story really did not hold my interest, the gimmick of how all of the characters tied together did. That is just what this movie is. A gimmick. A knock-off of Magnolia which was a knock-off of Short Cuts. Very entertaining, kind of like reading a Grisham book, but when done watching it I almost immediately forgot about it.

Is this really a directors cut or does it just have some deleted scenes?

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Wow, I'm surprised by the hatred towards this fine film.

I look at it as a companion piece to Grand Canyon. Same themes, same location, but set a decade later.

I admire both films. Both have bigger ideas and deeper thoughts than found in 95% of what Hollywood churns out. And dialog that I wish the people I interact with daily were smart enough to speak. Literate, meditative, lyrical, sometimes brutal, but words that fight to be heard, in an artistic medium that dominates and bombards our sense of sight to the exclusion of our other senses.

I own the currently released DVD version, along with the Best Buy bonus disc that contains:

Introduction with writer/director Paul Haggis
Storyboard compares
Script to screen compares
Music montage
Photo Gallery

and will pick up te upcoming 2-disc version, too. I enjoyed Brokeback Mountain, but I agree with the Academy's decision.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
this is the most overrated movie to win an Oscar...ever.

Just shows you how much movies suck these days.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Running times are virtually meaningless when it comes to discerning content, but the time listed for the "Director's Cut," a term which I almost wish I never started for home video, may be the original cut screened in Toronto in September of 2004.

Lion's Gate has a problem.

With all of their recent success with the Saw films, and their marketing acumen, Crash is somewhat out of control.

Yes, they've sold almost 20,000 DVDs since the awards, but as a film which ran theatrically some time ago and (more importantly) is available on DVD, there is a major problem in getting theatre chains to pick it up for another run. Their ability to get playdates, has been severely hampered.

The new DVD may be their only way of bringing in more income, as the newest member to the multiple dip club.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks