Craig, Ed...try this recording!!!...

Discussion in 'Music' started by frank manrique, Apr 8, 2005.

1. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

I just got through listening to Chuck Mangione's "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" recording of such electrifying, stupendous, thrilling 1978 live concert of his Quartet accompanied by the LA Philarmonic Orchestra. Wow...what an event!

Even on this CD can that incredibly exciting night be aurally sampled to a great degree, so if you like jazz and Mangione's music in particular (I do! [​IMG] ) this recording is a must (available at Amazon.com).

My only complaints with this recording mix first have to do with the rather abrupts fade outs after each musical piece, something that tends to sap the "live concert" atmosphere off its original super-exciting luster...which is something that can be aurally sampled by simply listening to the last three or four songs...while the other complaint being where the recording label decided to place the concert's intermission (second song on the second CD even though there was enough space to keep it on the first CD!).
    Oh, well...still is one heck of a recording...being well worth belonging in music lovers collection bins...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Frank:

I have had the distinct pleasure of not only seeing Chuck Mangione live several times, but also meeting him personally and obtaining his autograph on a dinner napkin while dining at Proietti's restaurant. Great recommendation, and I shall try to find the same at the local archives.

Regards,

Ed

3. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Frank ... Thanks for the info, sounds like a winner ! [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Guys, I saw no references in post #1 as to how this recording best demonstrates the prowess of certain speakers, woofers, subwoofers, crossover frequencies, etc., etc. It's just about the record. Hence, the thread now is located in the Music area.

5. frank manrique

Oops! :b

Jack, I meant to say that this recording excel in the bass department (among many other things)...as Meeks is one hell of a great bassist.

The reproduced sound of his bass rifts off this recording is something to aurally behold in terms of clarity and power...even if bass lines from his electric bass guitar doesn't hit the bottom end (i.e, 10 Hz, etc.) of the infrasonic spectrum.

Anyway...mea culpa!...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

That was close Frank! Fast thinking on your part and if I ever need a lawyer> your the man[​IMG]

7. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

Isn't it awful when a poster starts talking about software on the speakers forum? [​IMG]

It means he's forgotten his system and is just enjoying the music. :b

We can't have any of that Frank! [​IMG]

Tut, tut! If everybody behaved like you nobody would buy ever buy any more kit! [​IMG]

On second thoughts though, if everybody behaved like you, the manufacturers wouldn't be able to keep up with demand! [​IMG]

Regards
    ChrisBee

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

p.s. happy birthday frank. I don't normally look at the birthday announcements, but for some reason it caught my eye today.

9. frank manrique

Feisalk,

Thanks for remembering my Birthday, which is today, the 11th... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

(phew! Managed to finish the post without forgetting anything......yippee! [​IMG] )