cracked screen on rear projection TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BigJim, Feb 20, 2007.

1. BigJim

BigJim Agent

Jim
    I bought a used Toshiba 51H93, and it fell over in the back of my truck getting it home (dumb, I know). Fortunately, it still works fine, but the front screen has a crack in it. It looks like plain clear Plexiglas (Perspex for you Brits) so, as near as I can figure, the correct replacement part is called a "Screen Protector", and retails for about $45. Unfortunately nobody has it in stock, and the first vendor I tried to order it from said there'd be an additional $45-$100 shipping charge since it's oversized.

Can I just go to Home Depot and a have a sheet of Plexiglas cut to the correct size, or is there something special about the correct part?

Also I'm only about 90% sure that the Screen Protector is the correct part. I see a a "fresnel screen", and a "lenticular screen" on the parts lists, and they're about double the price of the "Protector". As I said it looks like plain clear plexi, and not some funky lens.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Jim

Someone named ChrisWiggles or Allan Jayne or Gregg Loewen can probably help you.

3. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Actually, if you don't have young children or pets, you can remove the protective screen altogether. Many people remove this screen (or have an ISF tech do it) to get a better picture with fewer reflections. It is there to protect the lenticular screen, which can be easily damaged (scratched), especially by kids and pets.

If you are interested, do a search and you should be able to find a procedure for unstacking and restacking the screen assembly without the protective screen.

-Steve

4. BigJim

BigJim Agent

Jim
    Nope, i've got both, so I need the protective screen. Can I replace with plexi, or is there something special like an anti-glare treatment on the OEM?