CP72 and DVD-A Bass management probs?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Larry Marq, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Larry Marq

Larry Marq Extra

I've read a few articles here about bass management probs and DVD-A w/ the Panny CP72. Can somebody explain this to me? I know it has a setting for large and small speaker settings. Set to small, signals below 100hz go to the sub. Is there something else with DVD-A that is a problem?

Thanks, Larry

2. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

the Panny CP72 has no bass management for DVD-A at all, the speaker setting only apply to DD, DTS internal decoder.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Yep, the best bet for any mortal man (without tons of cash) is just to hope that most of the bass is recorded in the "LFE" channel on a DVD-A disk. Or, get an outlaw ICBM, but considering the cost and the fact that you would need two sets of 6 interconnects, you would end up spending more on that then a CP-72 costs.

4. Larry Marq

Larry Marq Extra

Wow...this is confusing...please bear with me here.
    How did you figure the speaker size applies only to DD/DTS? Is that for DD/DTS that comes out of the analog jacks only. Digital out isn't affected by CP72 speaker size right?

So...if speaker size doesn't apply to DVD-A and I have my Denon 3803 set to small &80hz, (here's where I get confused...) do I lose the low freq's that would be normally passed to the sub? Should I set my speakers to large for DVD-A (Klipsch RF3II series)?

Bottom line questions...

1.Where should I set my speakers for DVD-A?
    2.How should I set speakers on CP72 if I use digital out for DD/DTS?

I hate being ignorant [​IMG]

Thanks, Larry

5. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Larry,

6. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Larry,
    I will try to help you out, even though I don't have your specific equipment. As far as I can tell, bass management for DVD-A is, at present, not very reliable. In general (and I believe this applies to the 3803) no bass management is done on the multichannel analog ins that you would use for DVD-A. Therefore, your speaker settings when playing DVD-A through the analog inputs in the receiver would be useless and you should leave them as you have them set for the current bass/time alignment of your other sources.

The speaker settings and bass management (where available) on the DVD player apply only to the 6 channel analog outs. If this isn't applied to DVD-A, and you use the digital out to let your receiver do the DD/DTS decoding, there is no need to set the speaker settings in the DVD player for DD/DTS. However, these settings may be used to set relative volume levels on the analog outs that would apply to DVD-A.

Again, this is the general scheme of things, but I don't know about the specifics of your setup.

Jeff

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

As an owner of a Pioneer 45A, all I can say is "Welcome to my world!"[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist what with all the BM hell most all universal player owners are enduring.

BTW, ICBM's rule!

BGL

8. Larry Marq

Larry Marq Extra

Thank you all VERY much! I'm good to go... (I think [​IMG] ).

It sounds great to MY ears the way it is... I just wanted to know what was going on "behind the scenes" out of curiosity. Perhaps when/if my ears become more sophisticated, I'll look into that ICBM missle launcher thing... until then, thanks again!
    On a side note, is the CP72 rated very well for DVD-A?

Larry

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Has anybody here ever used a frequency analyzer to see what kinds of bass frequencies are present on a dvd-audio's non-LFE channels?

And while not using five "full-range" (i.e. down to 20Hz!) speakers might result in a slight sag in bass output, will it really make things sound truly bad? I honestly can't beleive the mixing engineer is going to place 20-30Hz bass in the non-LFE channels. They just can't be that dumb......because that is what the LFE channel is there for!

LJ

10. DerrickW

DerrickW Stunt Coordinator

If you need bass management (ie you don't have 5 full-range speakers or want to use your sub anyway), then you'll need the Outlaw ICBM or the HK525 receiver which is the only receiver to do bass management for 6 and 8 channel analog inputs.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Make sure the Harmon/Kardon uses a 192kHz/24bit processor (if it is a digital bass manager).

LJ