CP-72 just died, help with replacement

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ray Nist, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Ray Nist

Ray Nist Agent

I think my panny cp72 died last night, it no longer will read any disc, and does not want to eject the tray. I will try a lens cleaner tonight, but in the event it really died, I will need to replace it.

I have not been following dvd players recently. I want to spend less than $150, and a changer is not a requirement, but preffered. I have a panny 100e recorder but I think the picture is worse than the cp72 (progressive out on 61 inch sony hd). Can someone recommend a player to fit my needs? I basically want the best picture for the money.

Thanks
    Ray Nist

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Denon 1815 is close to your budget ($170 & Free shipping) from www.ecost.com . Should have a very similar picture or better PQ than the CP72 and is based on the same deinterlacer and mpeg decoder. It should also increase sound quality on CD because of the addition of Burr Brown DACS.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=313425

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Just curious does the CP72 give error messages?

I guess you could purchase the replacement parts and fixit up yourself if you would like to revive the unit.

4. Ray Nist

Ray Nist Agent

Yes, it gives an H02 error. Any idea what that is?

5. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

That looks like a spindle motor failure. Also can be a optical pickup failure as well.

I also sent you a PM as well.

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The H02 is the spindle motor error, this is a common problem on the older Panasonic RP62,RP82,CP72 models - happens after about a year of use. It was fixed on the later models design.