What's new

Covers of Beatles' songs U favour over the original (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I never said that I don't think they should be covered, or even that I don't like any Beatles covers. I simply don't think any of them surpass the originals.

One of the worst Beatles covers IMHO: Paul McCartney's live version of "Something" on Back in the U.S. and Back in the World. Done on the ukelele as a tribute to George, it's a nice sentiment but it turns a fantastic song into almost a joke with no melody.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I agree with those that say the Beatles do the best versions of their own material. I know many people prefer Cocker's WALHFMF, but it doesn't have the charm of the original.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
PM Dawn's cover of Norwegian Wood of course! LOL! NOT!

I'm not a fan of cover tunes, but I did enjoy Fiona Apple's version of ATU and I do like Sting's version of hey Jude.

DanFe

Second Unit
Forgot to mention Rankin did Penny Lane and While my Guitar Gently Weeps.

BTW, McCartney himself had high praise for Rankin's rendition of Blackbird.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dan, those are good Rankin covers. I've heard 'em. I think I have all his albums besides greatest hits...? It's atleast a dozen. I thinks Weeps is the better of the pair but I see that one fallin' short in centerfield in the Beat The Beatles Home Run Derby. I have about 5 Weeps covers and they're all OK, but I think The Insects are safe at home on this tune, so far.

Another cover that I think is at the fence or over is Cheap Trick on Day Tripper. I've heard alot of Day Tripper covers. James Taylor's and Otis Redding's come to mind but they're meek. Cheap Trick's has some teeth, and it's l-i-v-e!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
In almost all cases, I prefer the Beatles. Someone mentioned Joe Cocker above, I do enjoy that.. for a rarity I enjoy: Tori Amos - She's Leaving Home; original concert version, very toned down and it takes on a completely different meaning when sung in a first encore if she ended with "Me and A Gun" one of the first times a cover struck me completely differently when I heard it then how I originally perceived it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chris, if you wanted some really diffrent sounding covers, look at some of the country/bluegrass covers of The Beatles...The Dillards WE CAN WORK IT OUT is really outstanding. I'm OK with Dwight Yoakam's THINGS WE SAID TODAY. Alison Krauss is good on I WILL. I like Area Code 615's LADY MADONNA.

Reggae Beatle covers sound really different. I've heard a couple but cannot recall one at the moment.

Nobody has pulled up a single jazz cover yet. There's some good ones, well hundeds...more maybe?!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Danny, what you say is true, it a klassic! That's why the FBI, KGB, MC5, and CIA all use it to break down their interogants.;)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Just a few days ago I bought the Unearthed box set by Johnny Cash. He does In My Life and his voice was just so amazing in the final years that that one has stuck with me.
There are, of course, tens of thousands of Beatles covers and unless you've heard everything that Sarah Vaughan, Nina Simone, Stephan Grapelli...have contributed, it's probably best not to jump to final conclusions.
But, mostly the Fab Four nailed it the first time.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I'm more of a rugby league fan, but I've got to admit I'm pleased with the result. Boy, you should have seen the scenes in the streets around here. Plus, three of the Welsh team live on the housing estate where I live.

My 9-yr old daughter was in Cardiff with a friend and her mother seeing 'Robots' (just released here). They had a hell of a job getting a bus or train out of the city. My daughter when she eventually got back was full of questions about why a lot of men on the streets smelt funny, were very happy and wanted to sing a lot.

Apologies for the shameless thread diversion, and I now return you to your usual programme.

Not sure whether this counts as a cover or not, but I also like the John Lennon/Elton John rendition of 'I saw her standing there' on the CD version of EJ's 'Here and There' album. However, this could be because it was the last time John Lennon appeared on stage and it has a certain poignancy.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I too prefer Elton John's version of 'Lucy' over The Beatles version. It's more robust and satisfying. The Beatles version sounds like a demo by comparison.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Rachel,

I admit that there are even several non-original songs on the first albums, and especially Ringo's on some later ones. Didn't think seriously about that when I made my "statement". ;)

It was rugby. Wales won the Grand Slam.

Not footsy ball.
This is how they see it: "Soccer is a gentle game for roughians, while rugby is a rough game for gentlemen".
(I'm quoting someone, but I don't remember who.)

Cees

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy the funky discofied 80's synth psychodelia take of Danielle Dax's cover of "Tomorrow Never Knows". Phil Collins' version is fairly respectable as well...

Cornershop does a nice cover of "Norwegian Wood", in what I believe is an Indian dialect.

Then there's Pat Benatars version of "Helter Skelter"- not too shabby.

Siouxsie and the Banshees "Dear Prudence" is also a fairly well done cover.

One of the worst covers I've heard was by one of my favorite artists- Peter Gabriel. He absolutely massacres "Strawberry Fields Forever". Yikes!

Jimmy

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Cees, isn't it a serious offence for a Euro dude to call football soccer? ;) Yeah, the Insects did plenty of covers in the early dayz. Then there's the songs they wrote for Peter & Gordon which they might never have performed themselves, much...? ...if at all?

I mostly think the Beatles do the definative versions of most of their original songs but I see, well hear, a few exceptions. With so many covers, somebody's aim must be true.

What's the saying, if you put a million gorillas in a room with typewriters, one of them will write a bestseller...:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I feel like a heretic saying this, but I think Eddie Hazel's cover of I WANT YOU (she's so heavy) beats the original. The guitar work es magnifico! The Brides Of Funkenstein provide intresting vocals. To me, this simply is a tour de force on guitar.

Check out his album: GAME, DAMES, AND GUITAR THANGS.

mikeMarz

Grip
This isn't a Beatles song, but the "Imagine" cover done by A Perfect Circle is really good. More haunting and dramatic than the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks