What's new

Coverart: The Undiscovered Country (1 Viewer)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Presented in a newly remastered 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1, extras include director and screenwriter audio commentaries, the "Movie Making," "The Star Trek Universe," "Art Imitates Life" and "A Farewell" featurettes, extensive storyboards and production gallery and theatrical trailers.
Hmm. This sounds like a lot less extras than the previous few Trek SEs. Is it possible that "Movie Making" and "Star Trek Universe" are collections of featurettes? Or has Paramount not announced everything yet? I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I'm just curious.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
According to www.dvdtimes.co.uk the specs are:

2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English subtitles
Audio Commentary by Nicholas Meyer and Denny Martin Flinn
Text Commentary by Michael & Denise Okuda, co-authors of The Star Trek Encyclopedia
Stories from Stark Trek VI: six featurettes on the making of the film including interviews with cast & crew
"A Conversation With Nicholas Meyer"
"Klingons: Conjuring the Legend"
"Federation Operatives"
"Penny's Toy Box" - archivist Penny Juday displays original props from the film
"Together Again" - William Shatner and Christopher Plummer reminisce about their friendship as young actors who had worked together in theatre
"The Perils of Peacemaking" - A discussion of the uncanny parallels between the plot of Star Trek VI and historic global events in the Soviet Union
"DeForest Kelley: A Tribute"
Original Cast & Crew Interviews
Theatrical Trailers
1991 Convention Presentation by Nicholas Meyer
Production Gallery
Storyboards

---
So many films, so little time...

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm confused over the release date for the DVD. DVDfile and The Digital Bits have conflicting dates, one says January 27th, the other says February 27th. Which is it?

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
John, thank-you! That's more like it.:)

Michael, I think the correct date is January 27th. February 27th is a Friday.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
The complete specs from Startrek.com:

Disc 1
THE FILM

"Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" — the DVD version includes two scene revisions by director Nicholas Meyer

Commentary by Meyer and screenwriter Denny Martin Flinn

Text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda (co-authors of "The Star Trek Encyclopedia"

Disc 2

MOVIE-MAKING: STORIES FROM "STAR TREK VI"
Six featurettes on the making of the film, including interviews with William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Plummer, Meyer and additional production members

THE STAR TREK UNIVERSE

"Conversations with Nicholas Meyer" — a biographical overview of Meyer's career

"Klingons: Conjuring the Legend" — a review of the historic, cultural and mythic traditions of the warrior race

"Federation Operatives" — a roster of "Star Trek VI" performers who went on to appear in Trek films and series

"Penny's Toy Box" — Trek archivist Penny Juday displays original props from the film

"Together Again" — Shatner and Plummer reminisce about their friendship as young actors who worked together in the theatre

ART IMITATES LIFE: THE PERILS OF PEACEMAKING
A discussion of the uncanny parallels between the plot of "Star Trek VI" and historic global events in the Soviet Union, with commentators Meyer, Nimoy, Russia expert/scholar Dr. Angela Stent, and others

A FAREWELL
DeForest Kelley: A Tribute — A look at the career of actor DeForest Kelley ("Leonard McCoy"), with interviews from cast and crew
Original cast and crew interviews

PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL
Theatrical trailers
1991 convention presentation by Meyer

ARCHIVES
Production gallery and storyboards

The DVD of "Star Trek VI" is presented in widescreen format enhanced for 16:9 televisions. It features Dolby Digital English 5.1 and English and French Dolby Surround. The DVD is sub-titled in English and closed-captioned for the hearing impaired. The DVD set is priced at $19.99 in the U.S. and $21.99 in Canada. It is rated PG and has a running time of approximately 113 minutes.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I got this DVD today. The aspect ratio is not 2.35:1. It’s a mish-mash! Here is a screenshot I made.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm ... That appears to be close to the 2.00:1 aspect ratio of the first DVD. Very disappointing.

I assume that it's at least anamorphic, right?

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
Are the Klingon subtitles on screen in the right place?

I have the old release and the subtitles go off the bottom of the screen on my widescreen TV.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes it's anamorphic. You can see it by the aspect ratio of the screenshot and also by the size of the black bars.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping at least that the 2:1 ratio shows extra information on the top and bottom like Austin Powers and isn't cropped on the sides like Apocalypse Now or Life As a House.

GregK

Screenwriter
I'm hoping at least that the 2:1 ratio shows extra information on the top and bottom like Austin Powers and isn't cropped on the sides like Apocalypse Now or Life As a House.
It probably will show more at the top and/or bottom, as Star-Trek 6 was the only(?) Trek film shot in Super 35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks