What's new

Cover Art For Gunsmoke 9th Season (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Am I incorrect or is this cover art wrong? Wasn't this the season Chester left and Festus came on?

DakotaSurfer

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Season 9 (Sept. '63 - June '64)

Chester's last episode was in March 1964. Festus had his first episode in December 1962, but it was a single episode. He started full-time in January 1964.

Festus Hagan (Ken Curtis) (1959-1975) & Chester Goode (Dennis Weaver (1955-1964)
Quint Asper (Burt Reynolds) (1962–1965), Thad Greenwood (Roger Ewing) (1966–1968), and Newly O'Brian (Buck Taylor) (1967–1975)

They will probably add Festus to the Season 10 - 20 covers.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
rmw650 said:
But why continue releasing these in half season sets and then bundling them up together as a full season? Wouldn't it be just simpler to release this show as single season sets instead to avoid the clutter? Just saying.
Guess they can charge more doing it this way!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Its actually Bonanza that is offered in the bundles. The new Gunsmokes are still sold as 2 sets per season and the price has gone up considerably on Gunsmoke but is not consistant either.
Retail Price of Seaon 7 is $36.98 per volume, similar to Seasons 1-6
Retail price of Season 8 is $49.98 per volume
Retail price of Season 9 is $44.98 per volume

Wish they would stick with the $36.98 price as its getting expensive to collect Gunsmoke. I Don't want to think about what the final total will end up being for all 20 seasons. It is a great show though with strong replay value.
stuartfanning said:
Guess they can charge more doing it this way!

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Gunsmoke in its 8, 9, and 10th seasons had a very fluid cast list. You almost needed a score card to keep up with the second bananas who were coming and going.

Dennis Weaver tried to leave Gunsmoke 3 times, in seasons 7, 8, and 9, but he kept coming back for a few episodes when his pilots weren't picked up. Finally in the middle-end of season 9, a pilot he did got picked up and he left for good.

Burt Reynolds was a semi-regular from season 8-10, but not in all episodes. Festus became a regular with the middle-end of season 9. He appeared more often than Burt Reynolds as Quint did.

It great they're doing season 9! Here's hoping they continue and do the final two black and white season and a few color ones!

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Absolutely...Jaydee....season 12 is a MUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....if that's all the color shows I can get....I WILL take it.
smiley-eatdrink013.gif

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Shatner's Grim Reaper said:
Absolutely...Jaydee....season 12 is a MUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....if that's all the color shows I can get....I WILL take it.
smiley-eatdrink013.gif
Sorry JayDee...that was my Doppelganger posting yesterday....I gotta have ALL 20....gotta.
smiley-angelic008.gif

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Wow! $90 for the full nineth season! That's getting kind of close the Star Trek territory. Why are most of my favorite shows so darn expensive?!

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm sure you'll be able to find the ninth season at around $50 when they release it. DVDplanet currently has the eighth season at around $25 for each volume.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
In case anyone is interested, found season 8 vol. 1 and 2 at Walmart for $20.00 each. I already had vol. 1 but was waiting for a price drop to grab vol. 2, so now I finally have it.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Glad to see GUNSMOKE pick up the pace.

Interetsing to me is how often Chester and Quint appear in the same episode.
I don't recall many episodes.
Quint seem to be often paired with Festus.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
ponset said:
Glad to see GUNSMOKE pick up the pace.

Interetsing to me is how often Chester and Quint appear in the same episode.
I don't recall many episodes.
Quint seem to be often paired with Festus.
I think there's one episode with Chester, Doc, Kitty, Festus, and Quint. I remember all of the actors' names crammed into the closing credits beneath Arness' name.

DakotaSurfer

Agent
Real Name
Michael
I've got both vol. of Season 9 at $30 each and free shipping both coming out on August 6th. Hopefully Season 10 and 11 will be out by the end of the year. DVDPlanet and DeepDiscount have their prices up to about $38 per vol. I'd get your orders in for the cheaper ones while you can and before they raise the price again.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Right now IMPORTCDS.COM has the 9th Season of GUNSMOKE at 47% off, $26.29.
But I believe you have to pay for shipping.
I recall paying $6-7 for shipping on my last order.
Did save a couple of bucks.

"Prairie Wolfer" is the name of the episode that MATT, KITTY, DOC, CHESTER, SAM, QUINT, and FESTUS all appear in.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wal-Mart has been selling the half-season sets for $19.98 each volume. Makes the season set less than $40/season.

Works for me.

Doug

DakotaSurfer

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Bob_S. said:
Can I ask where you got it for $30? Amazon is selling for $33.99.
At Amazon... $29.96 per volume and free shipping with my Prime membership. Then I just got an email giving me an extra $3 off on each volume, lower price guarantee thing.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
DakotaSurfer said:
Season 9 (Sept. '63 - June '64)

Chester's last episode was in March 1964. Festus had his first episode in December 1962, but it was a single episode. He started full-time in January 1964.

Festus Hagan (Ken Curtis) (1959-1975) & Chester Goode (Dennis Weaver (1955-1964)
Quint Asper (Burt Reynolds) (1962–1965), Thad Greenwood (Roger Ewing) (1966–1968), and Newly O'Brian (Buck Taylor) (1967–1975)

They will probably add Festus to the Season 10 - 20 covers.
So according to this timeline, from Jan 64-March 64, Chester, Festus, and Quint were all on at the same time? These short 3 months were truly the Golden Age of Gunsmoke. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks