What's new

Coupling - The Complete First Season (BBC) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
1/21/03 will see the release of the original BBC version of Coupling.
Note that the "Complete First Season" is just 6 episodes!
There is a US version that NBC is prepping to replace Friends with, so I expect this will be of high interest to fans of both shows.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Is this show shot in widescreen? Even though it's 4:3 on BBC America, people in the shot (especially shots at the pub) are halfway cut out of the picture like they are victims of pan & scan.

And if it is shot widescreen, will the discs be anamorphic?

Not bloody likely, methinks...but I must ask.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard the second and third series were shot wide for the UK, but the first series was not.

This info was from discussion boards at BBCA.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Coupling Series 1 and 2 were both shot widescreen, and are available in anamorphic widescreen on DVD (if you have region 2 PAL playback). I got mine from Amazon.co.uk.

I was watching a couple of episodes from Season 2 last night, in fact. This is an incredibly well-written show... and did you notice that the writer and producer are named... Steve and Sue?

"Where are you going?"
"It's up to you..."

- Steve

P.S.: I can't wait to see series 3 over here...it's showing in the U.K. right now.

Thanks for the info!

I just got back from a business trip in London and while I was there I discovered this incredibly funny show. I was thinking of purchasing the UK discs but if they are coming to the US I will wait.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Anyone know which will have the correct speed, the PAL or NTSC versions? I think many British television shows are shot at 25fps. If that's the case here, then I will get the PAL disc.

Jeff

Andrew D F

Stunt Coordinator
According to BBCAmericaShop.com the R1 DVD release of Coupling S1 will be Widescreen.

The BBC has been very good about releasing newer shows, such as Absolutely Fabulous S4, on DVD in 16x9 anamorphic. There is no reason to think that this release will be any different.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Thanks for the info. This is a must have. I like Friends quite a bit but really prefer Coupling after seeing it on a flight to London. I was overjoyed when BBC America was picked up by my cable company so I could watch the rest of this series. I just hope this isn't too hard to find around here come January.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Behind the Scenes interviews
Special behind the scenes featurette, "The Photo Shoot," with the cast shooting the DVD cover
Cast Bios
It's amazing isn't it. Once again a version with more supplements are released in America, while the BBC releases a bare-bones disc in the UK.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, James, the "featurette" appears to be a rehash of one of the supplements on the Series 2 BBC release...

- Steve

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Steve-
Could you give us a run down of the features on the
Region 2 DVDs of the Season 1 and 2 set?
I checked with amazon.co.uk, but they don't mention
any, and one customer, while raving about the show
stated it had no extra features.
I am in a quandry as to whether to go ahead and buy
the R2 version, or wait for the R1 version, and any
information you could provide will help. :)
Mark

JulianK

Supporting Actor
James - the R2 discs aren't released by the BBC, they're released by VCI.

The first disc doesn't have any extras on it. Some retailers list some, but they didn't appear on the final disc.

The second series (a two-disc set) has an interview with writer Steven Moffatt, and interview with actor Jack Davenport and "Behind the Scenes", which is mainly about a photo' shoot.

Both discs have 16:9-enhanced 1.78:1 ratio transfers.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
While I don't hate the BBC Amercia cover art, I muc prefer
the R2 cover design, as it is more reflective of the
show...I guess I like to think it is an ensemble show.
I'll just be glad to put less wear-and-tear on my
region free player. ;)
Here's hoping those original "tentative" February
plans to release Series 2 in R1 pan out.
Mark

James Reader

Screenwriter
James - the R2 discs aren't released by the BBC, they're released by VCI.
Julian, I've just watched the latest episode of Coupling on the BBC and at the end there was an advert for the DVD and Videos.

I find it hard to believe the BBC would be allowed to advertise another company's product. Have the rules about BBC promotions been relaxed recently?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am PSYCHED for this great show! I don't have cable, but I've seen tapes friends have made off BBC America.

I have very low expectations for the NBC "remake". I'm sure it will be watered down enough that the only comparison will be the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks