What's new

Couple quick buying questions (1 Viewer)

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm baaaaaaack!

Didn't think you could get rid of me that easy did you? ;)

I found the Harman Kardon AVR-7200 receiver @ eCost.com for $750, which I consider a steal. But, its refurbished. Is this okay? Also, I was looking at this extended warrenty (I almost insist on these because I'm paranoid), and its done by another company Service Net. Has anyone had any experience with them? :emoji_thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: ? Also, they don't mention anything about shipping (if service requires me to send it in). Who would pay this?

Thanks guys,

Justin

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Justin:

I got my Denon AVR 1803 and my Denon DVD from them, plus an HP media receiver several months ago, and have been very happy. The units looked pristine and have no problems with them. The only thing I did't like, and had no trouble living with, was that the DVD player did not come in its original box, but was packed in a ocean of foam peanuts instead.

They are authorized dealers of their products, so you would have a factory repair place do any work that might occur. I personally am not a fan of extended warrentys on electronics, but if it makes you sleep better at night, go for it.

Don't let the term "refurbished" scare you. They can't sell the products as new, so they check them out at the factory, repackage them, and sell them as "refurbished".

Bob

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
The main reason I'm going for the x-warrenty on this one is:
1) Regardless, it is refurbished
2) It's an online dealer
3) I've heard Harman/Kardon has some problems with quality control

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please note that Parker Clack, at the request of the HTF staff, long ago posted this notice atop the main thread-listing page in the Basics area:

Reason being that the Basics section is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level -- and not for shopping tips. It's where the home-theater newcomers can ask rudimentary questions about the essentials of this hobby.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

More than likely, you'd have to pay the shipping if there were any warranty issues.

Also, the shipping from eCost to deliver this receiver to you via ground shipping is: $60.95.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

You can get a NEW one from "6thavenue" +.com
for ~850 delivered.

EDIT:
Or....maybe not, they list it, but cant seem to find
it on their site.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
1) I appologize for the misinterpretation in the forums. Please forgive :b :b :b

2) Well, I did a bit more research, and it turns out the company itself pays for all shipping costs. I am still curious about the company itself though. The name they chose is not exactly google friendly. Apparently, they cover CDW for support, which is promising and I would buy from CDW were I owning my own company. I would still truly appreciate any input someone could provide on this company.

The more I think about it (and the more time that goes by where paychecks go into the bank unused :wink: ) the more I'm thinking that this is a good idea.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

Well...not all of them. They sell Pioneer Elite and aren't authorized dealers, and the same is the case for H/K I believe. They are an authorized Denon refurb dealer...always worth investigating these things for yourself though...

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Just personal opinion, but since you asked - if it were me, I'd be very careful here & probably look elsewhere.

You can often get a brand new 7200 w/ full warranty from an authorized dealer for ~$788 plus shipping from OneCall. Yeah, you probably have to wait a while until they put it back on sale but I would personally pay that relatively small premium to get a new unit. HK refurbs are probably one of the best refurb opportunities around just 'cause HK gives 'em full factory warranty - that does make the savings attractive. But if you can find a non-refurb for minimal premium... I know that I'd sleep a little better with a new unit and one less thing to wonder about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks