What's new

Couple of questions regarding combining components (1 Viewer)

Jacqueline C

Agent
If your vcr has composit outputs only and you connect those to a receiver and everything else has s video outputs, can you still run s video cable from the reciever to the tv?

If your tv is HDTV ready and it has 2 sets of component inputs, and your receiver doesn't have any, are you losing anything by connecting the dvd directly to the tv with component cable and running digital coax cable from dvd to receiver? Or is shelling out the big bucks for the reciever to have component inputs really necessary?
It seems to me that if you have 2 component inputs on the tv you can run the dvd and the HDTV receiver(not sure if that is what they are called) into the tv directly when you get one but please correct me if i'm wrong.

What is the best way generally to get good sound when you are watching regular television? I see outputs for red/white rca cables on the tv labeled to audio amp but nothing more complex.

Thanks to any who reply

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
Jacqueline - Parts express has a composite to s-video adapter that I prefer over the Rad. Shack version (doesn't require an extra cable), and it only costs $5. However, PE usually has a $10 minimum shipping fee (or close to that), but it still works out cheaper than the Radio Shack version, and that's before having to buy an S-video cable.

The main advantage to running all the video thru the receiver is to eliminate one extra remote (the TV remote), so that everything is controlled thru the receiver. For some, this is a small or non-issue. For my wife, it was a must. I have three S-video sources (vcr, dvd, cable box) in to my receiver , and one S-video out to my tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks