Couple of ipod questions

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jon_Are, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Just got the 60gb. Love it, but there are two things that I don't get that probably have simple answers:

1. When I go to turn it off, using the >|| key, it doesn't always work. It seems that if I had been using functions/pressing a lot of buttons, I need to give the ipod a several-second "rest" before it will power off. In other words, sometimes it doesn't turn off, so I wait a bit, try again, and it shuts off. Is this normal?

2. The scrolling wheel works great, but I wonder if there is a faster way to scroll than spinning my finger 100mph. When I want to get to a song that starts with Z, I feel like a club DJ. Is there a method of "quick-scrolling"?

Thanks,

Jon

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I only has a 3g 40g, but I notice similar behavior from time to time (the shut down issue). No biggy, really.

And yes, it makes my nuts to have to scroll down to ZZ Top! I get the feeling that the Apple folks expected everyone to load up with playlists and stick the iPod in to Shuffle Mode, rather than suffer the tedium of scrolling through a list of artists. Well, maybe everyone ESLE does that, but I don't.

Something I saw recently that you might find interesting is that there is a 3rd Party OS that you can load on newer iPods. I can't remember the name, but I have seen a few screen shots, and it looks cool. Plus, a few users have said it works better than the standard OS.

Its of no use to me, with my antique 3rd Gen, but it did look pretty cool. Maybe it would have some better options for scrolling through the library?

Brian

3. Jason Goodmanso

Jason Goodmanso Stunt Coordinator

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed the shutdown issue. It wasn't a problem on my 4G iPod, just my new 5G. I always just figured it was me being retarded or something.

As far as scrolling fast, I've noticed that sometimes it will scroll super fast - I'm not sure if it's a case of pressing harder or just getting the scroll speed just right, but there have been many times I was shooting for S and got to Z in a blink of an eye.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Make sure you're upgraded to the newest firmware. When I bought my 60GB I had v.1 and the shutdown issue was intermittent. Upgrading to the next one (1.1?) made the shutdown issue worse, and now that I'm on v1.1.1, I've had way less incidences of the shutdown issue. In fact, I recall several other slightly buggy issues that I haven't had to deal with since going to v1.1.1

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I have a plain-vanilla 4th-gen 20 GB with whatever software version came with it. I haven't had a problem turning it off.

As for scrolling fast, I find that when I spin my finger around the wheel steadily, the scroll speed accellerates pretty quickly. I was recently listening to a recorded book that had over 500 chapters, and scrolling to the end of it only took a couple of seconds.

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Yep, that's how I do it too.