What's new

Count of Monte Cristo (1934) & Man in the Iron Mask (1939) for Feb 2012 (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
http://www.classicflix.com/count-monte-cristo-1934-iron-mask-1939-february-a-1100.html From Henstooth Video of particular interest is this description:
These are officially licensed releases and both have new transfers from fine grain elements as well as English subtitles.
UPDATE: According to the most recent Movies Unlimited catalog. The Corsican Brothers (1941), another adaptation of a Dumas classic, will be released on DVD by Henstooth Video in April 2012. The Last of the Mohicans (1936) is also slated for April.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oh yes, James Whale's The Man In The Iron Mask. If it looks good I'll be importing it to the UK.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
These are very welcome. I always seem to make some error when I want to record Count of Monte Christo off TCM, and TCM's print of the Man in the Iron Mask is very poor. I hope the picture quality is good. Does anyone know anything about this company?

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I have a few Hens Tooth dvds . From what i remember they do a pretty good job . Nice cover art on both .

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
UPDATE: According to the most recent Movies Unlimited catalog. The Corsican Brothers (1941), another adaptation of a Dumas classic, will be released on DVD by Henstooth Video in April 2012.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Thanks. I hope their addition is a cut above the poor PD editions floating around. Edit: Looks like it will be a quality transfer. Both The Corsican Brothers and The Last of the Mohicans are also listed as having "new Digital transfer from a 35mm Fine Grain" in their product descriptions. http://www.henstoothvideo.com/Drama.html

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! This is exciting news. I've never heard of Henstooth, but I definitely want to pick a few of these titles up. I'd rather spend my money here than on anything in the "Archive".

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Hen's Tooth product is variable in quality, but it's improved in recent years. Still I'd wait for reviews.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Ignoring my own advice (not for the first time) I ordered THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO from Amazon and it arrived today. I think buyers will be satisfied; what looks to have been soft cinematography is captured accurately (though blacks are strong when they need to be) and outside of some stray speckles the image (based on a scan-through) is stable. Audio is OK for a film of its age. There are 12 chapter stops and a trailer as its only extra. It's on par with one of the Warner Archive's remastered releases (though not quite as sharp as some of those, which may reside with the intended look and the elements) and, yes, it's on a pressed disc, which I know is meaningful for some. DVD Beaver on THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK, which looks to be of similar quality: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews56/man_in_the_iron_mask_.htm

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'd say it's satisfactory, especially compared to the poor public domain editions out their. If The Last of the Mohicans approaches this quality, I will be very pleased. Looks like their claims of new transfers are right on the money.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Holy smokes! Has anybody bothered to go to their website? Under romance/drama the last entry they list is High Road to China for DVD and Blu. Amazon lists it as a pre-order for April 17. Now this makes me very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks