Count of Monte Cristo (1934) & Man in the Iron Mask (1939) for Feb 2012

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JoHud, Nov 16, 2011.

1. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    http://www.classicflix.com/count-monte-cristo-1934-iron-mask-1939-february-a-1100.html From Henstooth Video of particular interest is this description:
    UPDATE: According to the most recent Movies Unlimited catalog. The Corsican Brothers (1941), another adaptation of a Dumas classic, will be released on DVD by Henstooth Video in April 2012. The Last of the Mohicans (1936) is also slated for April.

2. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Oh yes, James Whale's The Man In The Iron Mask. If it looks good I'll be importing it to the UK.

3. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    These are very welcome. I always seem to make some error when I want to record Count of Monte Christo off TCM, and TCM's print of the Man in the Iron Mask is very poor. I hope the picture quality is good. Does anyone know anything about this company?

4. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    I have a few Hens Tooth dvds . From what i remember they do a pretty good job . Nice cover art on both .

5. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    UPDATE: According to the most recent Movies Unlimited catalog. The Corsican Brothers (1941), another adaptation of a Dumas classic, will be released on DVD by Henstooth Video in April 2012.

6. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Second Unit

And also the Last of the Mohicans (1936) with Randolph Scott.

7. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Thanks. I hope their addition is a cut above the poor PD editions floating around. Edit: Looks like it will be a quality transfer. Both The Corsican Brothers and The Last of the Mohicans are also listed as having "new Digital transfer from a 35mm Fine Grain" in their product descriptions. http://www.henstoothvideo.com/Drama.html

8. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Wow! This is exciting news. I've never heard of Henstooth, but I definitely want to pick a few of these titles up. I'd rather spend my money here than on anything in the "Archive".

9. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Hen's Tooth product is variable in quality, but it's improved in recent years. Still I'd wait for reviews.

10. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Ignoring my own advice (not for the first time) I ordered THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO from Amazon and it arrived today. I think buyers will be satisfied; what looks to have been soft cinematography is captured accurately (though blacks are strong when they need to be) and outside of some stray speckles the image (based on a scan-through) is stable. Audio is OK for a film of its age. There are 12 chapter stops and a trailer as its only extra. It's on par with one of the Warner Archive's remastered releases (though not quite as sharp as some of those, which may reside with the intended look and the elements) and, yes, it's on a pressed disc, which I know is meaningful for some. DVD Beaver on THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK, which looks to be of similar quality: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews56/man_in_the_iron_mask_.htm

11. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I'd say it's satisfactory, especially compared to the poor public domain editions out their. If The Last of the Mohicans approaches this quality, I will be very pleased. Looks like their claims of new transfers are right on the money.

12. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Holy smokes! Has anybody bothered to go to their website? Under romance/drama the last entry they list is High Road to China for DVD and Blu. Amazon lists it as a pre-order for April 17. Now this makes me very happy!