What's new

Could use some advice for a new reciever (1 Viewer)

Don Stephens

Auditioning
Hi all I'm in the market for a new reciever after the center channel on my Sony STR-DG500 went out.

I have the following speakers in my setup.

Klipsch
RC25 Center ChannelRB15 rearRF25 frontRW10 Sub.

I need and want the networked type of recievers with about 110-120 watts RMS. I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-V675BL but if I can find something that costs a little less I'd be happy.

Any ideas on recivers that would be a good match for this setup?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Those Klipsch mains are 97dB efficient. You don't need 100+ wpc.

Any major-brand mid-level receiver that has the features you want (features, not power) will work.

Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer...

Do you need analog video upconversion?
Do you need second zone?
What, specifically, do you need when you say "networked type"?

The network capability is likely to be the limiting factor - Onkyo models like the 626 may have all that you need, but I'm not certain how far down the chain you can go to preserve that.

Don Stephens

Auditioning
Upconversion would be nice to have. Most of my devices are HDMI and my last reciever didnt have any hdmi ports so pretty much anything is going to be a winner.

A second zone would be nice but not necessary.

The only analog device I have is a wii and an xbox360 and one of the reasons I looked at that Yamaha is that it has component as well as hdmi.
As far as the network portion, I had looked at a few recievers and I like the ability to be able to use Pandora and some of the other internet radio stations as well as airplay.

A front USB for an Ipod would be nice also but again not necessary.

So you dont think I would need anything 100WPC or higher. I just didnt want to underdrive the speakers and hear distortion at high volumes.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First, the "100wpc" is based on two channels, not 5 or 7.Second, if you want upconversion for the Wii...the 675 is great...or the 673, or the 671.Those speakers will run you out of the room on 20 watts.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Ditto what Sam said; 97db is a very efficient speaker and it takes very little power to drive them. Just because a speaker says it has a power handling capability of 200W does not mean it needs 200W to make your ears bleed. ;)

Don Stephens

Auditioning
Decided to go with the Denon AVR-E300. Like I said prior any thing current will be an upgrade since my dead reciever didnt have any of the newer features or HDMI. It claims 175 WPC but I think its closer to 75 but still plenty of power and the setup was way to easy with the Audyssey multeq. I have the same setup in my car on the Alpine deck I installed. Sounds great there also.Thanks for the info though. Had no idea about the efficiency of the speakers being the determining factor with and not RMS wattage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks