What's new

Could The Defenders Be Released on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
That's very interesting! Is it just because the first five rebroadcasts haven't run out yet? Or did the series have a different residual agreement than the typical pre-1974 deal?

I don't know the full details but from what I understand, all of the performers on the show worked for less money than normal in exchange for a much higher rate on rerun residuals. Since the reruns off network in the 60s were minimal, its likely that the five rebroadcasts didn't get reached. And I do remember hearing that the cost of the show in syndication was double the amount charged for any other normal one hour black and white show. Combined with the lack of tape elements and split ownership, it is likely too complicated for CBS to have any interest in pursuing any kind of broadcast sale.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I'm as frustrated as the next person with Shout's stalling of so many titles; especially Police Story. But this is a rare B/W show that I have heard about, but never seen. It has been as good as advertised.

If lovers of the show can make a difference and get it released, why not make this situation different than what has happened in the past. I want something good to come from this, not the same old story from Shout!.

I think this show deserves to be released, with whatever means it takes to release it. Stopping at season 1 would be a shame.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't know the full details but from what I understand, all of the performers on the show worked for less money than normal in exchange for a much higher rate on rerun residuals. Since the reruns off network in the 60s were minimal, its likely that the five rebroadcasts didn't get reached. And I do remember hearing that the cost of the show in syndication was double the amount charged for any other normal one hour black and white show. Combined with the lack of tape elements and split ownership, it is likely too complicated for CBS to have any interest in pursuing any kind of broadcast sale.

Turns out not to have been a great deal for them, as the residuals have never materialized. It's kind of the inverse of a lot of the big money deals that TV stars make now, in which they essentially sell their residuals for more money up front. Thanks again for the information. The show is even fascinating in its contractual agreements!

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
Just wanted to thank you all for this wonderful thread which I've been following for many weeks now. I can hardly wait for my DVD set of THE DEFENDERS to arrive here in Germany! Fortunately I never binge on any classic shows, so I got 32 weeks of great TV to look forward to. :)
It's hard to believe nowadays with all this junk on the tube, but THE DEFENDERS once actually had a brief but no doubt glorious existence on German TV: From May 1964 until June 1965, 18 episodes (all of them from S1 and S2) were broadcast over here, with German dubbing, 16 of them on Friday nights, 2 on Mondays. Considering that at the time there were only 2 stations on the air, it must have had quite a good share of the audience.
I was 9 years old at the time and don't actually remember watching it, but I do remember my parents and even my then 15 year old sister being real fans of the show, which was called, quite simply, PRESTON&PRESTON!
Well, I'll soon find out what I missed. :) Too bad my sister doesn't understand English or I would have a nice present for her...

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
However, seeing this thread veer into "how do we push and harass and intimidate Shout into continuing this show even if they'll lose money on it because this show is worthy doing that for" territory is really making me shake my head in disbelief. Where was this kind of attitude for ANY of the other stalled titles Shout has had in the past? I'd point out that Shout has a LONG trail of abandoned titles, many of which I might add are shows that were quite popular if not more popular in their original runs like "Ironside", "Marcus Welby MD" etc. Frankly, I think before Shout changes its business model for one title that only just got its first release, they should be "wined and dined" more regarding the titles that a lot of people like myself have been going batty over the lack of completion for YEARS. In the case of "Ironside" Shout actually misled us regarding what they supposedly had the rights to do, yet that conduct always produced more in the way of yawns and big-deals from people at this board. If Shout ought to be pressured into foregoing profits for the sake of making customers happy, would it be too much to ask if some of us who are still waiting....and waiting....and waiting.....get some closure first?

Start a campaign for any of those shows to get completed, and I'll cheer you on. Hand me a petition, and I'll sign it.

Regardless of what I think of this or any television show or movie, I can always appreciate when folks decide to take specific and immediate action in an attempt to get what they want, rather than potential years of waiting and frustration that might devolve into some sort of misguided bitterness.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It's a little tougher to raise awareness when every time I pointed out what Shout was doing on this board re: "Ironside" at the time their deception took place (regarding what they allegedly held the rights to) and jerking around customers with false information (one poster here noted how he had talked to Shout and how they were promising S5 and S6 in 2011) the broad reaction at this place I was getting was a giant yawn and a "don't be so hard on Shout they're our only hope" attitude.

Anyone remember the "Shout Select" program? That was supposed to be their big solution to the matter of titles that they knew weren't big sellers but which they knew there was a core fanbase for. They used that to give us only S3 and S4 of "Ironside", S2 of "Room 222" and the final season of "The Bill Cosby Show" (a title that was stalled on the order of three to four years) and never used it again after 2010 even though it would have been the ideal solution for a number of their other stalled titles.

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
So what I'm getting here is that you didn't get the support you felt you needed to get what you want. For that, I'm sorry. I can truly empathize with that frustration. I repeat my offer: start a petition, and I'll sign it. I shall support your efforts to get what you want. And I won't rain on the parade of others' efforts towards getting what they want in the process.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Episode 20 - The Point Shaver

Guest Cast - Crahan Denton, Andrew Prine, Rex Everhart, Paul Prokop, Alan Hewitt, Philip Bruns

An story that still is relevant in its initial stages. The mystery that unravels during the story is very interesting. I thought the story was well constructed and well played out by all the participants. I was surprised that the story could pack so many misdirects before the resolution. A well written and well presented story.

Great character actors in Alan Hewitt (Disney films, comedies) and Philip Bruns (Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, changing the topic slightly. But for big fans of the Defenders release, what do you think is their next most requested unreleased black and white series? Bus Stop? Mr. Novak, Uptown Downtown?

James

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
That's a good question, James. I would imagine the most requested would be something that ran for a while and was also widely syndicated. The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, maybe? It wasn't that widely syndicated, but I also see a lot of requests for 77 Sunset Strip.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Guys, changing the topic slightly. But for big fans of the Defenders release, what do you think is their next most requested unreleased black and white series? Bus Stop? Mr. Novak, Uptown Downtown?

James

James:

It's hard to guess what would be the next most requested black and white series, but I would love to see DVD releases of the following shows:

Seasons 2, 3 ,and 4 of The Defenders (sorry I couldn't resist :D).

Bus Stop - complete series

Coronet Blue - complete series

East Side/West Side - complete series

The Nurses - complete series

This summer I have had the pleasure of watching Route 66; Complete Series and The Defenders: Season One; not only have I been fully indulged in quality classic television, but I am downright addicted to 1960s television!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
James

One; not only have I been fully indulged in quality classic television, but I am downright addicted to 1960s television!

Good for you Darby.

I do believe tv writing in the sixties is superior to anything currently on. Characterization, good writing, and good acting made up for other shortcomings. I find today's television to be overly pessimistic, and when it is positive it's not in a good direction. It's hard to get excited about today's programs for a variety of reasons.

James

Real Name
Larry
i just emailed Michael Asimow who is a Visiting Professor at Stanford Law School and author of Lawyers in Your Living Room!: Law on Television (http://shop.americanbar.org/eBus/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=213702) in which The Defenders is featured prominently to ask him to write a review of The Defenders: Season One.

That was an excellent idea, Sean!

I exchanged messages with author and journalist Mark Harris who freelances for Time and Entertainment Weekly where he has a regular column (also the author of several books, including "Five Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War"). He was actually delighted to hear of the DEFENDERS release and, as it turns out, it's one of his TV "holy grails!" I told him of its lack of attention in the press and offered to hook him up with Shout for a screener but, before I could, he bought a copy. A column or article by him could help very nicely. Fingers crossed.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
So what I'm getting here is that you didn't get the support you felt you needed to get what you want. For that, I'm sorry. I can truly empathize with that frustration. I repeat my offer: start a petition, and I'll sign it. I shall support your efforts to get what you want. And I won't rain on the parade of others' efforts towards getting what they want in the process.

I admire the enthusiasm but petitions don't mean a thing. All that matters is the bottom line, profit and loss. If the title makes money, enough to justify continuing with the show, it will happen. If not, it won't. The only way anyone is going to have an effect is if they go out and buy a few dozen sets to give out to all of their friends and acquaintances as presents. I've heard a suggestion about enlisting libraries to buy copies. Well, that's not great either as that's one copy and then people will take it out and watch it for free, which doesn't help sales any. This is why I wish they had gone with a best of set first, so in case sales tanked, at least they could have gotten out a lot of the greatest episodes, 98% of which are in seasons 2-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks