Costs to start a drive inn theater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Kr, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Working on a project and need help figuring all the costs involved. Obviously land,lighting, projector (what kind, used prefferably, price?) Building for concessions, something to broadcast sound to radio frequency(what is this called and how much?) Screen(How much) Distrubution fees obviously, labor to put screen up and set up projector(how much) general labor (employees etc) advertising, can anybody think of anything else? All help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Kevin-
    I am not a "drive in" expert, but to me you need to provide a few more details. First what part of the country is a big one, down south labor is cheap, up here in the north we cost alot more(electricans that is). As for lighting and stuff, it would all depend on the area to be covered, along with how much candle power you want to provide. My only sugestion would be to find one of the few drive in's still intact(maybe even shut down) and buy alot of the equipment used if money is a factor. The are alot of auctions on resturant equipment, and many places sell referbished stuff. I got a friend whos dream is to build a drive in, along with a golf range. There is one left in my area, its to bad, I can still remember the family sitting at the drive in.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Kevin,
    I would check this link out:http://www.boxoff.com first.
    Use the "Buyer's Directory" and the "Industry Links" to find more info on your project. Good luck!

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    So are you building this in your back yard? That would be one heckuva home theater. [​IMG]
    - Steve

5. Kevin_Kr

How did you guess!!!!

6. Kevin_Kr

This will bein the midwest South Dakota to be exact. All input is appreciated.